KUDOS to DM Laura and the SunDiver Captains and crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDiveGirl

Contributor
Reaction score
Underwater SoCal. There's no place I'd rather be
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was fortunate in enjoying an excellent dive at Farnsworth Banks, on the Sundiver, on Sunday February 18th.

This advanced dive spot can be simple, challenging, cranky, or outright dangerous... depending on the day's conditions, the diver's skill levels, and the boat's preparedness and responsiveness.

The SUNDIVER was spectacular on Sunday! (I described this in the report thread, but this boat's skillfull actions deserve separate notice.)

The captains anchored beautifully, giving wide choices in depth and topography. The deep-divers executed their plan nearby and perfectly. The newcomers to Farnsworth had plenty of terrain above 100fsw to explore. Excellent anchorage!!

The concise briefing by DM Lori included all the necessary precautions and guidance. She even gave a quick summary of the process of live-boat pick-ups in case divers got blown off the pinnacles and missed the current line.

The dive was drama free. When one dive party got blown off the anchor line on ascent, Lori was watching the bubbles and informed the captain long before the SMB appeared on the surface. The divers were down current quickly while safely making all their stops. Lori quickly completed roll call (with Eye Contact! I love this woman!). The hook was pulled, and the divers were picked up smoothly from a live boat. AND Lori HAD INCLUDED THIS PROCESS IN THE PRE-DIVE BRIEFING SO EVERY ONE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO.

On a less prepared boat, with less precise captaining and crew, this could have been a big production. But it wasn't. The divers were picked up fast and completely un-stressed.

Thank you to all the people of the SunDiver Dive boat for a wonderful day of safe diving.

You ROCK!!

~~~~
Claudette

I agree, Lori did an awesome job. You go girl !

In fact, the entire SundDiver crew was top notch in my opinion. I'll certainly be back.

Amen sister!

Lori you are the hostess with the mostess.

Hoo Rah to DM's Lori, Kyaa, Capt's Ray,Kevin and Kyaa (woman is amazing). You guys ROCK and are our premiere diveboat.

What a class act, you executed with military precision, flawless action!

Lori as a new DM I could learn a host of experience from you.

Grateful,

Tevis

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for your kind words regarding my DM style. I had a great time with you guys this past weekend, and look forward to seeing all of you again! :D

Below is a letter that should show up on OC Diving tomorrow. I was surprised when my phone rang today regarding all of this non-sense. Thanks again for your support!

Hello,

My name is Lori, and I am the Dive Master on the boat that must not be named (Sun Diver), oops…I guess I let that slip. Those that have had the joy of being on my deck when I am DM know that not only do I require to see each and every diver face-to-face on roll call, also know that I will not continue with the roll call until I track you down! Some call me “Safety Nazi,” due to how strict I run my deck, but always get complemented that I do it with a smile!

I was not a member of this board until this evening (Wednesday, February 21, 2007). Unfortunately, it appears that there is some speculation regarding a great dive my customers had out on Farnsworth this past Sunday. We pulled in to Farnsworth and were welcomed by a hale on the radio from the Captain of the Pacific Star. He said we could anchor next to them, as they currently did not have any divers in the water, and had just completed one dive with good conditions. We safety anchored about two boat lengths from the Pacific Star and I started my briefing.

For those of you not familiar with my style, and my “Safety Nazi” attitude let me give you a detailed account of nothing more than a great day of diving!

• Prior to leaving the dock, I populated my dive roster noting each diver, their certification level (a requirement especially for Farnsworth, yet normal routine), number of dives, and when their last dive occurred
• Gathered all divers for a pre-departure roll call, and explained that a face-to-face ID of each diver is required after each dive
• Once underway, went around the boat verifying dive buddy groups, and paring those not currently grouped (you have to see my roster to appreciate this, but each group has their own symbol, that way I always know who should be with a returning diver)
• After a nice boat ride over, easy anchor, and gathering of all divers on the stern, I briefed the customers on the various dangers of Farnsworth (including boat traffic and the currents – where I requested that all divers start and end their dive from the anchor), the importance that the coral must not be touched or taken, to stay within their personal dive profile and recreational diving limits, return to the boat with at least 500 PSI in their tanks, as well as the importance of not grabbing the wrong area (hinge) on the swim stepladder
• With all divers in the water, and patrolling the deck watching bubbles, the wind picked up a bit, as well as the current…with bubbles going up the anchor I knew I would soon be needed on the swim platform to receive divers full of stories…and I was not disappointed…”there was a nice torpedo ray.”
• Continuing to mark all returning divers “IN” on my roster, noted that there were two out and a set of bubbles coming up by the boat. The bubbles started to move off the boat out into open water.
• The Captain asked, “How many do we have out?” I said “two.” We both simultaneously pointed at the bubbles continuing to move farther from the boat out into open water. The Captain asked if I wanted to do a live pick-up of the remaining two once surfaced.
• I made an announcement to all divers currently on the boat that there were still two divers underwater, and I was going to do a roll call, so we could go do a live pick up once they surfaced.
• With a full boat, minus the two divers, and the appearance of a red safety sausage about 300 yards off of the boat, I told the Captain that we were ready to lift anchor and I pulled up the swim stepladder.
• As I lifted the swim stepladder, the divers appeared from under water, and were contacted by megaphone to stay where they were, we were heading to pick them up!
• The anchor was lifted, as I kept a constant watch on the two divers in open water, then the boat was moved to retrieve the divers.

As you can read…nothing more than a great dive, with what I would call (if I don’t say myself), first rate customer service (no-no wait there, we will pick you up).

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to post.

Sincerely,

Lori
“Safety Nazi”
PADI Specialty Instructor #186411

Hey Lori,

I think you should make a new rule: No more pouring cold water on the DM.
(Make Milo hand you his fins before he climbs up the ladder.)

See you on Sunday,
Chris

Lori.....
Great job! I echo the sentiments of others on the boat. I'll also add that you asked that anyone diving mixed gas talk with you directly before the dive. I recall you asked us what mix we were diving, and what our dive profile was going to be. Very thorough indeed. Great trip, except I ate too many candy bars (but not as many as Tevis :))
Thanks again for your efforts and helping to make it a great day for all on board.
Kevin Glenn

Lori,

You did a great job. Even banging on the bathroom when Iwas in it to make sure it was me... You're a great DM..

Josh

Glycerin:
Lori,

You did a great job. Even banging on the bathroom when I was in it to make sure it was me... You're a great DM..

Josh

You keep telling yourself that - that she was taking an effective Roll Call... :10:

---
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom