Kudos to Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife had a new Ikelite substrobe DS51 to try in Bonaire this last June. We tried it out in the pool, and it was working fine. When we took it on the first dive in Bonaire, June 21, it took photos, but there was a problem. When we took it to change batteries, the compartment was full of water. We took it to John Wall at the Buddy Dive dogital photo center to evaluate. He advised us not to purchase another. He said that Ikelite had great service, let them take a look at it. We rented one for the rest of our trip. We waited until we returned home to try for a repair, after a month with the family in Washington state. I called the customer service number, they said to send it in with a letter and they would check it out. We did send it in, a week or so later, I called to check on its condition. They said they had received it, and would contact me when they had evaluated it. A week later there was a box on our door. No charge, no postage fee, the strobe repaired with a new battery door. We are totally impressed. They really have "customer service". What a nice group to deal with, no hassles, just service. They make for repeat customers.

John Strang

My wife had a new Ikelite substrobe DS51 to try in Bonaire this last June. We tried it out in the pool, and it was working fine. When we took it on the first dive in Bonaire, June 21, it took photos, but there was a problem. When we took it to change batteries, the compartment was full of water. We took it to John Wall at the Buddy Dive dogital photo center to evaluate. He advised us not to purchase another. He said that Ikelite had great service, let them take a look at it. We rented one for the rest of our trip. We waited until we returned home to try for a repair, after a month with the family in Washington state. I called the customer service number, they said to send it in with a letter and they would check it out. We did send it in, a week or so later, I called to check on its condition. They said they had received it, and would contact me when they had evaluated it. A week later there was a box on our door. No charge, no postage fee, the strobe repaired with a new battery door. We are totally impressed. They really have "customer service". What a nice group to deal with, no hassles, just service. They make for repeat customers.

John Strang

Great to hear...

I had the same type of problem with my housing, They did the very same!

Nothing but Kudos to Ike-Lite... They rock!

Wow the same thing happened to me, fresh water though I dried it and filled it with alcohol it did work after that but I should send it in....

Just sent 2 DS51's in for the same thing, both of them flooded on the same dive. I suggested that use a battery carrier that hooks up to a waterproof connector inside the battery chamber. That way they just send you a new battery carrier. Anyway, I hope they get them back to me in time for my Cozumel trip end of September.

Not sure what you mean Mike...Can you explain???

Right now you just slide the batteries into the chamber and they make contact through fixed springs and a plate on the battery chamber cover. I propose a battery carrier that has all the connections in it that you place the batteries in, then slide the carrier into the chamber and it either plugs into a corrosion resistent connector or has a wired connector that has a waterproof connector. That way in case of a flood the battery carrier could be easily removed, cleaned and if needed replaced without sending the whole unit in for replacment.

Attachments

• ikelite_strobe.jpg
    ikelite_strobe.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
It would probably save Ikelite a bit a money in doing repairs and shipping as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom