L&M Bluefin HC1 White Balance Hack...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougdrury

Registered
Reaction score
OK. So, I finally did it. After much agonizing over housings, etc...I purchased and L&M Bluefin for my HC1. mainly because time was running out. We are going to Australia and PNG in a month and I needed to get on the ball, order a housing and start playing with it before getting to Australia and making an *** out of myself with a housing I had never touched.

I have heard rumblings of a mythical LANC Hack to allow me to do "one touch" white balance with the Bluefin HC1. I have seen posts on many sites talking vaguely about it..but can't find instructions anywhere on any forum. I am going to call L&M about it...but would rather just read the directions in a forum...since that is much less time waiting in a phone queue.

Could someone please point me in the right direction...if I am not on a wild goose chase?

Thank you,
Doug

Are you talking about the "power off then power on the camera while pointing at a white card while underwater idea? I have yet to try it. Although I have an EVO, the theory should be the same.

I also vaguely remember someone mentioning a series of steps that might work. I thought it was near the back of a related thread on Wetpixel and was about to be tested by someone in England(not DeanB), but I never went back to see if his testing worked since I bought the EVO.

Wetpixel was just hacked so you can't look for it until after the 30th when Eric gets back from his trip. As I recall it was posted sometime around Jan-Mar. of this year, or even earlier, maybe it's even in the stickied HC1 thread at the top.

Without the assign button like on the HVR-A1U, there's no way to do it in one touch with an HC1 that I'm aware of, unless you do it with a control rod on the touchscreen like Gates, Ikelite and O/I do. I've read that Sony didn't build it into the electronics, so no amount of Lanc hacking is going to work - at least according to Warren at USVH - I think it was him, but don't quote me on that.

If it was possible, L&M would be highlighting that as a key differentiator between the Bluefin and the EVO Pro - which they're not. They do mention it in their HC3 Bluefin details so I think they would in the HC1 description also if it was possible.

Let me know how you like the Bluefin when you get back,

Back
Top Bottom