La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Love

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I had some questions for our west coast brothers out there concerning La Jolla Cove. I'll be going to San Diego for a bachelor party in June, but naturally I wanted to arrive a few days early to get some diving in before the partying starts! I was wondering, just what the protocol is for shore diving La Jolla Cove. Do I just rent the gear I need then walk off into the water? Will there be a lifeguard or anything I need to worry about? Also, are there any other dive sites in the San Diego area that are better than La Jolla Cove. Any advice is appreciated. thanks!

Keep an eye open for Great White Sharks.

You just walk out into the water, AFTER going down a long flight of steps. Parking can be an issue. I tried 4 times to dive La Jolla cove making arrangements with a local DM and renting gear other than my regs and computer and mask.
There is a direction for wind that is bad. I hit it three times. One of those times we were able to dive La Jolla shores. Shores was a long swim to my east coast standards and a low viz dive that day. I found it a so so dive that day and I like almost any dive. The cove dive was nice. Plus all the sea lions and stuff are neat.

Subsequently in San Diegeo I just took a trip with I think it was Waterhorse out to the Point Loma Kelp beds for a couple easy dives. Short ride. Nice boat. I like Kelp better than wrecks.

As an old lazy diver I would try for La Jolla cove again and try to take another boat out of San Diego.

I don’t know about La Jolla but lifeguards at beaches can be a PITA if you don’t inform them of your intentions if you swim beyond the surf line... you can get “rescued” whether you like it or not. Best to communicate if they are there, and they can be a good source of info too.

Alright no one has given you a good answer.

Here's a link to the DiveBums page: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

The info is a little outdated WRT to the buoy positions, I believe, so do not follow it to a tee.

Typically when I dive the cove, I get there at 7AM or earlier to get parking - also nice calm water. Gear up on any of the grassy areas near the bathrooms, or, if you're too far away, at the car. Walk over to the stairs, carefully head down the stairs and into the water.

Use discretion when entering if there is any wave/swell action. Sometimes it can be intense and sporadic, other days it is Lake La Jolla. The first 25-30' kick out are the most dangerous part of the experience and when you may be exposed to big incoming waves (or nothing at all - usually in summer, it is reasonably calm or light surge). I prefer to put on fins before entering the water and sidestepping in.

There are two dives that I like, both around 10-15 min kicks: 1) kelp forest. Angle NW from the cove until you reach kelp on the surface or immediately below. Drop and head due west, turn around 180 deg at your turnaround gas or you hit depth. It's hard to get beyond 60' if you head west if you are on a standard AL80 or steel 72, but be mindful as currents can take you off track. If you get pushed north you can head towards the canyon. 2) swim buoy. Head out more N/NW from the cove, aiming towards one of the swim buoys. I haven't been out in a while so I'm not sure of the positioning, but typically we'd see lots of sharks and rays between the swim buoy and a deeper buoy off to the west. You can generally just meander around the area looking for turtles if you're lucky, nudis, sharks etc.

On the way out, time the sets meticulously. If it gets rough, just crawl out. If it's calm, head right up to where it gets shallow and remove fins. Get out of the surge zone immediately. The lifeguards are, in fact, your friends here and will help if you run into trouble (if it's reasonably calm, you won't as long as you're not an idiot.)

Happy diving!

My choice would be to Boat Dive. why take a chance of getting all dressed up and the pool is closed.
Book a spot on one of the local San Diego boat charters= Marissa Charters.,Waterhorse ,Lois Ann
OR.. Head north to long beach and grab a dive boat, and enjoy diving Catalina island!
Also: check Power SCUBA's schedule, they might have a dive that will work for you.
Good Divin
SoCalRich

ha sorry guys I haven't been on here in a few days, thanks for the advice! and yeah, I am planning on diving solo so I was worried if a lifeguard might flag me down or whatever. I'm not too familiar with the coast! thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom