La Jolla: What a Difference A Year Makes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I went down to San Diego to dive with buddy MissyP. I hadn't been down there since the Wrinkles Dive in May '06. On that trip, I recorded 13 "new" species on videotape in just two dives and saw lots of activity diving the North and South Walls of La Jolla Canyon.

We decided to dive the South Wall and Vallecitos Point last Thursday. Long surface swims (if I were diving off Catalina, I'd have been in 500 ft swimming the same distance from shore!). What a difference 16 months made. The storms last winter truly reworked the bottom topography, and there was almost no life of interest to film.

Saturday we dove the Marine Room with MissyP's husband Doug and son Micky. The topography had the same scoured look, but at least surf conditions were mild... and there was much more life to see. Out at the drop off we found several solitary hydroids (Corymorpha palma), the first I'd ever filmed. I had seen pictures of them for decades, but they have a very restricted range (only on mudflats from Newport Beach to San Diego according to one field guide). It was certainly interesting to see one live.

Returning to the shallows there were more round stingrays than I've seen in my entire dive "career" on Catalina (38 years diving there). I filmed a few leopard sharks. MissyP and her family found a large group of shovelnose guitarfish.

Although I enjoyed the dives, I'm sure glad Catalina offers a fairly consistent "diversity" of marine life. Of course if conditions were like those in La Jolla, I'd be spending a lot less time editing video... and more time listening to karaoke!

Not to really change your thread but I will be traveling on vacation to San Diego next May and wondered if La Jolla would be a good place to go at that time and if it is a good spot for some one with around 50 dives, including one beach dive at Laguna Beach?

Jeff

If the visability is good, which is iffy in May, a dive at La Jolla Cove will give you almost as much divesity as Catalina. Otherwise a Boat trip to the Coronados, Wreck Alley or the Kelp beds will give you a lot to see. La Jolla shores usually has better visabilty, but less to see.

Yes, Dr. Bill, the topography has changed tremendously, but I don't think the variety or abundance of life has changed. There were a couple months there Jan and Feb, were it was quite noticeable that the topography change had certainly disrupted some of the local denizens living quarters.

The life has re-established itself wonderfully though. On that note, a lot of people don't particularly take to La Jolla, the south walls especially, as the life doesn't just swim up to you and say hi.

I'm happy to hear you had a good time regardless....we have a wonderful backyard here...

Kim

Hi Kim... a VERY substantial change in marine life at the South Wall and shallower areas, although comparing just two days of diving is a very small, unscientific sample size. I was quite surprised at the lack of life compared to last year, although I dove in May of 2006 and Sept this year.

Of course I'll be back down there!

I always liked diving in La Jolla. The Marine room was my least favorite. Usually did Vellecitos Point and Scripps Canyon is always a great dive. I never really gave all the stingrays much thought until after the Steve Irwin incident, but there were always a ton of them.

Well, there was no lack of life on last Tuesday when I was out there.... we saw a TON of life and even better was we got buzzed twice by 2 different GSB. BUT, the best part was the swim in .. we hit about 20swf and looked up as it got dark... then we noticed we were surrounded by thousands of bait fish, so me and my partner, turned onto our backs and watched... the fish swam in circles around our bubbles... then out of no where... dive bombers!!!! We laid there and watched the birds diving onto the bait fish in 20 ft of water..... on of my diving high lights so far.

So yes, the topography has changed.... but the sea is still living in little La Jolla canyon..

Back
Top Bottom