Labor day weekend in Naples/Ft. Meyers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abysmaldiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have heard of dive sites in this area but they are a long boat ride out. Is there any lds or dive charters that regulary go out diving here. I will be stuck in Naples for 4 days and being in Fl. and not getting wet will kill me. Any leads or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sorry "Ft. Myers". I dive better than I can type. I promise

Take the 3 hour drive to Key Largo for the day. Try Ocean Divers out of there and you will have some great dives. They run two boats out every morning and do wreck or reef dives. Nothing much to see here in the Gulf as the vis is poor and the bottom is flat sand.

http://www.oceandivers.com/

Tim
Fort Myers Beach, FL

Well, there is great diving in Ft Myers/Naples areas... but its not easy to get to if you don't know people with boats or the one or two shops that run a boat out. I know boats... need help? :)

CBulla:
Well, there is great diving in Ft Myers/Naples areas... but its not easy to get to if you don't know people with boats or the one or two shops that run a boat out. I know boats... need help? :)
A lds that runs out there would be great, do you have a name or number.

abysmaldiver:
A lds that runs out there would be great, do you have a name or number.

We do a Gulf sightsee/spearfishing trip or two every month out of Fort Myers Beach.
There are no true dive boats that run daily trips in our area, but there are several fishing charter boats that are dive friendly. There is amazing diving in the Gulf, especially if you want to see big animals that get your heart pumping and/or you like to spear.

There are some drawbacks with diving in the Gulf. The dive sites are hours off shore, the vis is usually around twenty feet on a good day, seas can become rough in the afternoon, storms pop up daily in the summer, help in an emergency is far....etc. Our water is typically green and murky, so the bright colors many seek do not really exist. The relief we dive are small ledges and hardbottom not more than a few feet high. Since the Gulf is really a flat desert, any sort of structure is usually loaded with fish. Lee County has made some great artificial reefs which are fun, and the wrecks in the area are amazing, but again, very far off shore. The Gulf is simply a very deiiferent expereince, and not what most people are seeking in a vacation dive in Florida.

Because of the distance the trips we do all day, three tank dives and cost around $150.00- not including tanks. We leave around 7 AM, run three hours, do three dives, then run 2-3 hours back in arrivig around 5 PM. If seas are rough the trip can be a workout and feel like getting beat up for hours.

Simple math dictates why we run so few trips... The drive to Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale, or Boca is about 2 hours. Key Largo is just over three hours. If you had to rent a car it would cost about $45.00 and maybe $20-$30 in gas. A dive trip on the east coast is about $60. Same travel time and same money gets you coral reefs and nearshore wrecks on the east coast or the upper Keys

Feel free to email or call for more information.

Matt S.- PADI MSDT
Dean's Dive Center (deansdivecenter.com)
Fort Myers, FL

I had a place in Naples until summer of 04. I used Scuba Marco http://www.scubamarco.com they are located on Marco Island which is a short ride from Naples. If you do have the time going over to the east coast is definitely worth it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom