LADIES--a BCD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanagal

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new BC and would like one that is made for women. I would like to know if you have one made for a woman, what brand and make and why you like it and would recommed getting one like your's. If it helps to know, I dive with a dry suit.

I have a Seaquest Libra. Here is what I like about it: It is cut to fit around the girls, although I don't have a large bust, it fits comfortably unlike some of the other "guy" BCD's. It does not have a velcro cumberbund. I hated that about some of the other BCD's I tried, the Libra has a snap with adjustable straps in front. It's a back inflate, love that. Integrated weights are a plus. Just a very comfortable BCD and I have over 100 dives on it, and it looks brand new. Good luck in your search.

i know a couple of ladies that dive the Zena by zeagle but i wouldnt limit myself to a ladies styled bc as there are other choices out there you might find comfy also

ive dived in a zeagle tec for years and loved the fit and recently switched over to a bpw - no squeeze or problems with my breasts getting in the way

what are you currently diving and what dont you like about it??

cheers and goodluck

I'm with Almitywife...with the exception that I would only consider the Zena for warm water diving where you don't need weights. I was a partner in a shop and we sold a lot of them, again I'm with almitywife, I would like to have a little more b.c. It always bothered me that the Zena zipped up the middle, if it broke that would probably end it's use for that trip. The Zegal rep, when asked, responded, "how many ripped Zeagle zippers have you seen. Honestly in 10 years of diving and selling just one. A lot of women like the Zeagle Stiletto, or Concept, great for travel, very light but strong enough to hook into the Blue Corner at Palau when it's rippin! J.C.

I bought a Libra when I first started diving, but it never fit well. My advice to women is to go with a backplate and simple harness. You can cross the straps to keep them well in on your shoulders, and the harness is infinitely adjustable, so you can get the fit you want. There's nothing on the front of you but the harness straps, so if you're busty, there's nothing uncomfortable. And if you're diving a dry suit in cold water, the backplate can take 5 or more pounds off your belt.

I have an Oceanic Hera & Love it! It's cut high over the hips, has lots of cushion on the backplate & all around, which IMHO makes it very comfortable. It is also a hybrid Jacket/ back inflate. I also like how the shoulder harness can be adjusted up or down for a better fit. I tried one on in the store when they first got them in & it was love at first fitting. I can wear it with either my 3mm wet suit or my drysuit with very thick undies (650gm) on. It's a great ladies BC, overall. But, also as TS&M mentioned, the BP/W isn't too bad either.

i'll sell you my mares journey, 22 dives on it, for $200. back inflate, integrated weights, you'll love it! pm me if you want it.

I had the Seaquest Diva before switching to a BP/W. It was comfortable for me but I did find it to be on the bulky side. However, now that I am a BP/W convert I suspect this would be my impression of any jacket BC. The Diva has adjustable shoulder straps and cummerbund (no chest strap), has integrated weight pockets, large storage pockets and is a combo back/jacket inflate style. I'm sure I would have been happy with it for a long time if I had not ventured toward the dark side. I put 70ish dives on the Diva and never had any problems with it.

Montanagal...

It depends on what kind of diving you do, how much weight you dive with and how much lift you need.

If you want something exclusively for the cold water, a harness system is nice because it can be adjusted to fit you. I recently have switched to a Diverite Transpac. While I love the fit, I have found it isn't easy getting in and out like my old BCD or my warm water BCD. A lot of people like the plate because it takes weight off your belt and trims you our nicely. However, a heavy plate isn't practical to travel with.

My favorite ladies BCD is the Aeris Contour. It has plenty of lift for our water and comfortable to wear in the tropics. You can put up to 10 pounds on each side (I recommend no more than 8 pounds though.) and 2 trim pocket in the back that hold 5 pounds each. It is a back inflate, but if you over inflate, it won't push you forward. The straps are easy to reach and getting in and out of it is a snap. Because of the cut, it doesn't ride high in the shoulders like the men's bcds. The ditch pockets also lock nicely so no risk of losing them. This BCD also transitions nicely to warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom