Lady Elan LX, Oceanic Isla, Seaquest Diva???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serendipity

Reaction score
About to buy my 1st BC and there are so many choices. I haven't been able to find a Lady Elan in my area and just tried on the Diva and Isla today. The Diva seems to get great comments and I agree that it is comfortable with one possible exception. The inner edges of the "sports bra" end in the middle of each breast, causing a little bit of discomfort in my street clothes (wasn't able to try it on in my gear). Wonder whether the discomfort is alleviated in gear. I like the Isla's adjustable strap positioning but the Diva seems to get such great reviews. I'm very torn so I'd love comments on how you all like these BCs.

serendipipty,
I'm looking to buy my 2nd BC and this time around I'm looking at the BC's made for women (I currently dive in a man's scubapro classic) Like you, I'm not sure which one to go with. I've heard good things about the Isla, the Diva and also Scubapro's LadyHawk. I think if we could hear what owners say about each of these BC's (the pros & cons) would be a big help.
I think it might be a good idea to try on the BC's with your wetsuit on and also if practical, I would the retailers would allow us to "wet" test the BC.
Good luck in search for your BC

~lildiver

Were you trying on the DivaLux or the Diva QD? Main differences are: DivaLux is mainly back inflation (so more lift), bigger pockets, SS D-rings, and neoprene (I think) sports bra. The Diva QD is the older model and is not back inflation, plastic D-rings, lycra sports bra and a little cheaper.

I have the Diva QD and loved it (until it turned orange...completely my fault!) I tried on the DivaLux, but in my street clothes, and didn't have a problem with the sports bra..but the zipper pocket in the cummerbund was VERY uncomfortable! Cut right under my rib cage.

I have dove with the Isla, and liked it very much.

Best thing I can tell you is take them both out on a dive. Most shops will let you "try before you buy" and really, thats the only way to see which one is best for you.

Oh...if you want to buy an orange Diva QD, I know where you can get one REAL cheap! ;-)

lol, scubabunny!
I see you are still trying to unload your orange BC....Maybe you could sell it someone that does a lot of low viz diving.

~lildiver

Well, I have been diving with the regular purple Diva QD for three seasons and have had no trouble. I have had no problem with the top of the sports bra over my wetsuit or even over my microprene diveskin. I've always found the Diva an incredibly comfortable, adjustable BC with lots of places to hang stuff if you're a little creative (as a divemaster candidate, I'm always carrying extra slates, cards, cutting tools, lights, etc).

I like the weight-integrated system, but I only put about a max of five pounds each in the pockets and two pounds each in the trim pockets. It's great for Carribean diving or for lake and river diving with my 5mm suit, but when I go to Catalina for cold salt-water diving and a 7mm suit, I have to wear a soft-weight belt with it.

The Diva, like all the SeaQuest women's BCs, has 32 pounds of lift. I've never found this a limitation, but heavier divers who have to wear more weight, especially with thick wetsuits or cold water, will need more lift capacity than that. I think the ScubaPro Ladyhawk has 34 pounds, but that is one of the highest-lift-capacity women's BCs I've seen. There was a girl out at our training quarry just last weekend who had to switch to the ScubaPro Classic Sport we use as the shop BC because the Diva didn't have enough lift for the amount of weight she had to carry.

...Barb

Hi all

I just bought a BC recently. After trying on every BC in several shops, including some ladies' models, I finally went for the Mares Synchro Next, which is sort of androgynous. Mares manages to place the buckles of the vests in places where they don't disturb :) The first buckle is high on the breastbone, and the next one is well below the breasts, thus providing (for me) perfect comfort.

It is weight-integrated and has 21 Kgs lift.

It took me some 2-3 dives to get used to it (wing jacket) but I love it!

gozu

I am looking to buy my first BC and have read all the threads in this section concerning BCs. (I'm glad I found this site.) I am fairly well-endowed on top and then get a size or two smaller going down.....I HATE men's BC's, they are too long...so a question I have.....I live where there is only 1 dive shop and the choice was limited, I tried on every BC there was not much choice, like some of the names mentioned in the thread.....the one I felt most comfortable in was the SQ Libra.....anyone have this? the straps fall well to the side of my "extra bouyancy" (as my hubby calls them). I really felt that I had so much more freedom and much less restriction...a lot of the other models have those bra-like things attached to the cummerband....what are they for?????? This libra had no cumberband, just attached at the waist and then high on the chest....I really liked it! Anyone have advice on this? thanks

earlybird

I have the Diva and it's perfect. It was made with women in mind for sure!

About the breast area. Try a bigger size. If the bigger diva turns out too big, you may want to try wearing a sports bra type swimsuit underneath (which keeps everything properly tucked).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your comments! Very helpful. I tried on the Diva LX again at a different dive shop this time. The dive shop operator adjusted the sports bra from the back so that it crossed over in a better spot. The first time I tried on the Diva, the dive shop operator did not make this adjustment so I didn't even know it was possible. (Lesson learned: when trying on BCs or any other scuba equipment, make sure the dive shop operator does his/her job by helping you find the proper fit and you should ask about adjustments since not all are obvious). So, I went ahead and bought the LX and can't wait to put it to test on my next trip, Fiji!

Thanks for the comments....I do not think the dive shop where I am at will allow for trying it on in the water.
:-(

I am going to ask, but knowing that outfit they probably won't. They are not too helpful either...the other thing, it is only guys that work there, and when I start asking about how the breast area is supposed to fit, they tend to disappear.....They only carry Seaquest and I saw 1 AquaLung....never saw a LadyHawk or an Isla or anything else. Us landlocked states are a bit more limited I guess. Salt Lake City is 350 miles away, hmmmm....

What is that sports bra type thing for? I always wear a fully supported swim suit anyway.....and then a wet suit, what is the purpose of that bra-type thing? These guys at the shop don't know, they just turn and walk away. bunch of cowards.

I'll keep trying.

Earlybird

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom