Laguna Beach Resort, Utila, trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Colleen and I just returned from a week of diving with Laguna Beech Resort, on Utila. We really enjoyed the experience.

It takes a bit of puddle jumping to get to this small dive orriented resort. Either you fly into Roatan, or San Pedro Sulla airport on the mainland in Honduras. Then you fly a small connecting flight to Utila, where you are loaded into a shuttle van into town, and on to the resorts service dock, where you hop a small boat across the mouth of the lagoon to the main part of the resort, and the dive docks.

The resort is made up of one main restaurant/bar building and small one or two room cabins, on the lagoon side, each with its own dock, deck and hammock for relaxing. House cleaning sraff is efficient, and every day they surprised us with some animal creation the made from the clean bath towels, and the colorful bedspreads.

The resort uses one to four Newton dive boats with very nice, low wide dive platforms, and wide dive ladders. Well set up, and very knowledgeable, helpful staff.

The week we were there was a particularly busy one for Feb, for them, as one very large, extended family filled one dive boat, and a women's dive group booked another to themselves. This left three couples beside ourselves to one boat. We drew the resort's main captain, Wagner, and the head DM, Adam, which was great for us as they are tops!

The coral of Utila is spectacular. Other than Belize, this was the most healthy coral I have seen. One diver in our group, another SB member, brasington, lives on Palau, and said the coral on Utila is far healthier than where he has been diving!

Surpisingly, another SB member or two were also in our small, tossed together group, ddeyoung, and one other who could not recall their user name, as they are seldom on. After diving with the rest of us, the fourth couple intend to join SB when they return home next week.

There is not as much fish life as I am used to, diving so much on Bonaire, but we saw an eagle ray or two on nearly every dive. The sites closest in to the town itself had fewer fish than those further north and I hear to the south, and along the east side, due to fishing pressure, but I also heard that the founder of the reosort has been elected mayor, and the move is one to change fishing practices, and provide alternate income sources for the population, before it is too late, as it is in so many other places.

I will post a bit more, and a few pics later.

Here are a few random pics from the week.

Attachments

• M0016138.jpg
    M0016138.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 122
  • M0016957.jpg
    M0016957.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 117
  • M0016135 (Medium).jpg
    M0016135 (Medium).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 114
  • M0016139.jpg
    M0016139.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 112
  • M0016170.jpg
    M0016170.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 101
  • M0016307.jpg
    M0016307.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 106
The diving on Utila was great. There were beautiful walls are many of the sights we dived, some 100-200 feet tall, and some a thousand or more. Also, there were awesome coral gardens at many of the sights. We encountered eagle rays, sting rays, quite a few very large green morays of most of the sights, and a ton of smaller to very small critters. Some sights I really wish I had more time to explore slowly on my own with the camera, as the more closely I looked, the more I began to see.

Two times I came eyeball to eye ball with very large free swimming green morays. We stopped only inches apart both times. The first time, I was so excited that I shut the camera off, instead of taking a picture, with him just @5 inches from my lens! :shakehead:

I had a similar experience with a large eagle ray that I spotted, and anticipated exactly where he would be when he passed our group. Though we passed within @2 feet of each other, with him highlighted perfectly, the camera simply would not work, until I rebooted it. (yes, you can hear someone swear through their second stage under water! :banghead: )

Whale sharks are one of the creatures that Utila is best known for, but they are found out in deeper water. Due to the winds blowing every day, we could not venture too far out, so sadly, we never spotted any of these beautiful creatures. It sounds like early spring and the beginning of summer are better times to go for Whale Sharks, as the winds die down.
From what I hear though, if you go when the winds are not blowing you have to bring good bug spray, as the no-see-ums. I also encountered a biting fly similar to our deer or horse flies here in upstate NY, that can take a chunk out of you if they bite.

Our captain, Wagner, and the head DM, Adam have 25 and 11 years respectively on this reef, and this resort, while Adam has also been a DM in Egypt and I believe Thailand. They are both top notch, and service oriented, and they made for a fun day both above and below the water.

Attachments

• M0016289.jpg
    M0016289.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 79
  • M0016288.jpg
    M0016288.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 87
  • M0016353.jpg
    M0016353.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 81
  • M0016304.jpg
    M0016304.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 80
  • M0016903.jpg
    M0016903.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 72
  • M0016846.jpg
    M0016846.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 85
  • M0016444 (Medium).jpg
    M0016444 (Medium).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 74
  • M0016619 (Medium).jpg
    M0016619 (Medium).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 70
Laguna Beach Resort is very dive oriented, but they also have horseback riding, and kayaks included in the package, although I was focused solely on diving. We did spend one surface interval visiting a small fishing village that completely covers two small cays a short was west of the main island. Jewel Cay and Pigeon Cay are connected by a small foot bridge, and are a unique village based on fishing, with no real road, just a narrow paved main foot street.

Attachments

• M0016645.jpg
    M0016645.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 84
  • M0016648.jpg
    M0016648.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 92
  • M0016655.jpg
    M0016655.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 72
  • M0016660.jpg
    M0016660.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 67
Nice report!

On our dry day several of us took one of Utila's put put "taxis" (or I think they call them tuk-tuks) into the "city" of Utila, to visit a very unusual restaurant/bar/garden that is worth a trip all by itself, the Jade Seahorse.
Utila Cabins, Utila Lodging | JadeSeahorse
It is hard to describe the jade seahorse. It started as a home with some rental cabins on the hillside behind it, and the owners gradually added on a restaurant, then decks, walkways, stairs, and an exotic garden that is the fruit of a very creative mind.
Every surface, and every corner holds surprises, and I was blown away by some of the ways the artist, Neil has used found and reclaimed materials to fashion a garden you could explore time and time again, and still discover something new. And, he is still there, creating.

If you want you can stay in one of the cabins, in this wondrously playful garden.

Some other people's pics of the Jade Seahorse I grabbed off the internet
https://www.google.com/search?q=jad...OCKJTNsASX34G4Aw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=911&bih=397

Attachments

• M0016973.jpg
    M0016973.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 72
  • M0016976.jpg
    M0016976.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 70
  • M0016989.jpg
    M0016989.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 64
  • M0017019.jpg
    M0017019.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 81
  • M0017002.jpg
    M0017002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 66
  • M0017001.jpg
    M0017001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Interesting. I've wondered about Roatan seeming to get way more attention on the forum compared to Utila, outside of whale sharks & low-budget backpacker tourist/divers.

If you've been to Roatan, do you have a preference for future trips between the 2?

Richard.

I have not dived Roatan. I have heard people who have disagree over which they prefer but I can not offer an informed opinion.
I have heard some say that Roatan is too crowded or too popular for their taste. That they prefer the quieter, more laid back atmosphere of Utila, in much the same way that folks argue about which they prefer: Bonaire, or Curacao.

Thanks for sharing your report and pictures. We will be off to Laguna Beach April 5 -12.
This will be our first trip to Utila, but we did Roatan (Anthonys Key) twice and had a great time.
We're hoping to get a chance to see the whale sharks.

Did you do the shore diving there? If so, how was it?
It is my understanding that you can shore dive 24/7 - is that correct?

I'm hoping to do a pre-breakfast dive and a midnight dive at some point during our week there . . .
How were the meals?

We enjoyed the meals. They were buffet style, and somewhat basic, but very, very well done. Everyone was complimentary of the food. If you have any special dietary needs let them know before you arrive. they were quite accommodating to several different people during our stay.

I am a big fan of shore diving, myself but that was the one disappointment for me.

The reef in front of the resort has a decent enough wall, but with the winds last week, and the fairly long shallow swim out to it, I decided not to do a shore dive, after I did one "drop off dive" while returning from a boat dive.

I was planning a predawn shore dive, which is one of my favorite shore dives. If I was planning it as a solo, which most of my predawn dives are, I would probably have still done it, but as the plan was to dive with two others, we called it off after that one exploratory drop off and swim in dive from the boat. Without wind and a strong surge, that dive would be doable, and probably enjoyable, but diving it with newer divers I did not know well I was not comfortable at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom