Lake Barkley?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, all-

The in-laws just built a home on Lake Barkley, not far from Cadiz. I'm aware of Dive Cerulean quarry (although I haven't been there yet), but am wondering if there are any interesting diving sites on Lake Barkley? Anyone familiar with the terrain?

Jim

We live about 10 miles west of there, and let me tell you, the diving in both lake Barkley and KY Lake are great if you love diving in 0 (and I do mean 0) vis and tangling yourself up in old trot lines. Trust me, stick with Cerulean.

you know I got to visit Cerulean last june and that is a pretty nice quarry. I just wish it were closer.....5 hours is just to far to drive. Of course it does give me a reason to visit the inlaws since they are about a hour away from there.

to the hazards mentioned above, if the dams are open, there can be a significant current. Not to mention the bass boats and PWC's from hell racing around on the surface with no idea of what a scuba/diverdown flag means.

The only time I have come close to drowning was a freedive down to free a sailboat anchor in Kentucky Lake, got trotline hooks in my hand, had to just tear them out and deal with the damage on the surface.

I couldn't see a thing, even with a mask and snorkle. I've used the snorkeling gear to check the underwater area of the boat hull, too. Have to just about press your mask against the hull to see detail.

There is a diveable quarry in Hopkinsville, about 30-40 minutes away, and another in Mermet, Illinois, about an hour away from Barkley in the other direction, both just off I-24.

Http://www.mermetsprings.com

http://www.pennyroyalscuba.com

Very familiar with the former, have never dove the latter.

GoBlue!:
Thanks for the info. We'll stick with the quarries!!

Jim

I just dove at Cerulean Saturday, and Pennyroyal on Sunday, if you are still interested in information about them.

Sonny

Hello,

I dove "Hillman's Ferry" quary on the KY Lake side of LBL. From what I remember the viz was 0-5 till about 80-90 feet and opened up to about 20. There was a little thermocline action there but not too noticable in dry suits. This was the fall of 1994'ish. I would like to dive there again, sometime, probably in cooler weather to get rid of the PWC's and others who don't know what the diver down flag means. As mentioned above, Cerulean, Pennyroyal, and Mermet are the local commercial choices.

I've heard there are structures left of some town on the Barkley side? that were left when the TVA flooded the area. I wouldn't dive that till fall and/or winter to minimize the boaters.

Have fun diving the quarries!

Steve

I've had some pretty "interesting" dives inKy Lake but have never dove Lake Barkley. I'm sure my youngest brother has dove Barkley, though I believe in TN.

Trot lines are numerous and the PWC'ers are very adept at using a dive flag as toy to play with. It is kind of cool to listen to barges going by while underwater.

There is and old feed mill near one of the bridges close to the Ky/Tn border that would be an interesting dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom