Lake Divers or Ocean Divers..who's the best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone thought about this topic, I have dove in both environments but I consider myself a lake diver, and it is an ongoing topic of debate at our local dive shop as to which group are better divers. I personally think it depends on what type of conditions you dive in, such as visibility, temp, entanglement hazards, current and so on. I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but I was just curious what everyone thought.

what lake? what ocean?

i'll place my money on a Great Lakes regular over a reefs-in-the carribean-ocean only diver.

but if they dive Lake Lashaway in East Brookfield, MA and
the other guy dives the Flower Gardens on a regular basis
it's a different story.

come to think of it I'd say that anyone accustomed to diving
the GL, NE or PNW on a regular basis is more-likely-than-not good-to-go in many situations. Deep, dark, cold is a great
training ground.

the Lake diver ie Freshwater diver runs into the need for good navigation skills, will deal with more unfriendly hazzards(Boats jet skis fisherman) better balance dealing with uneven shores Stairs

The Ocean Diver ie Saltwater runs into things that might attempt to eat you, unable to judge distance relying on navigation skills dealing with the possibilty of having a tank on the toe

which one is better neither just different

Frequent divers are the best. Also those that continue training (training being defined as seeking constant improvement). If you haven't seen a good cave diver in the water you have really missed something. You think your trim and your bc are good until you have to move with minimal fin motion and without touching anything. If you are not truely trim you don't move.

There is no one answer. However, in years past (80's), I was consistently impressed with the endurance and stoicism of the divers in So California, especially around the San Diego area. At that time, at least, they just seemed to be a bit more enured to difficult conditions than any other bunch. My impressions may be influenced by the fact that most were free divers as well as Scuba; and I don't know how the current crop stands up. I hear the Jersey wreck divers put up with a lot as well, same cold and rough conditions, current, etc.

i just had to throw my 2 cents in .
but imo the best diver is a diver who can dive fresh and salt with no trouble ya i know there are small differences in fresh and salt diving bouyency being a factor etc...
doesent really matter anyway who is better but just as long as its fun !

I have dived both an altitude lake & the ocean. The lake had a wicked thermocline, lousy visibility, lotsa duck poop, and a funny smell. So I only dove there once. To those of you who can do this repeatedly & still keep coming back for more, I salute you! My neck of the Pacific can be less than vacation-quality stuff, too, with heavy surf, low viz, and a funny smell, so I appreciate the comments about "what Lake; what ocean?":eek:ut:

It's like the old question, "Who's smarter - men or women?" The correct answer is, "Which man and which woman?"

Some lake divers are better than some ocean divers and some ocean divers are better than some lake divers. The best dive in all conditions.

Originally posted by Walter
Some lake divers are better than some ocean divers and some ocean divers are better than some lake divers. The best dive in all conditions.

Here, here!

No doubt the more versatile are better in general, but what do you mean by better? I imagine any diver is better at what he or she does a lot of than a diver who doesn't. A lake diver might be "a better diver" in a lake, but put that same individual in the ocean and he's suddenly in a new environment... or vice versa.

I don't think it comes down to a black and white distinction between fresh vs salt water divers. I think that individuals are just better at what they practice more often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom