Lake Divers or Ocean Divers..who's the best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of like MikeFerrara's and Walter's responses, "Frequent divers are the best" and "the best dive in all conditions."
For almost two years, I did nothing but lake diving. I experienced all the miserable conditions a lake could provide year round and them some. Then I had the pleasure of ocean diving. I haven't spent too much time in the area lakes since. However, cavern diving has put a new twist on things since I need all the training I can get. This means diving when ever and where ever I can. I guess I had to do a full circle to figure it out. :wink:

After diving every weekend in the cold, dark, murky quarry I dive in every weekend, and going to the caribbean, I thought the ocean was E-Z - until I went to the cold, dark, murky, shark infested, current swept coast of North Carolina...

Oh, yeah, and what everyone else said...

I think those who learn to dive in difficult conditions and continue to dive regularly will most likely be the better divers. I've only dived in the warm relatively clear waters in South eat Asia. I think I have a long way to go before I become a competent diver in UK waters - cold, low vis etc.

There is a similarity with flying. Lots of UK trainee pilots go to the US to do their Private Pilots Licence. The incentive is cost but they have to learn new skills when they come back to the UK to fly - bad weather is more frequent and instrument flying is a way of life - just like trying to navigate around a cold wet quarry with low vis.

:mean:

I have to agree with some of the other comments, being a great diver depends on the one doing the diving. You can be a total wreck in a lake or in the ocean..... but then again you can be at peace in both.
I have been diving in both quite alot and feel very calm and sure in both places. In both areas you always have the hazards you have to over come and those will make you a better dive as time comes. I enjoy my dive buddies who love diving on wrecks and hurting for the treasures to be found just as much as I enjoy my buddies who dive with me in the lake at a much more relaxed state.
I get upset with those who think they know what they are doing and don't have a clue..... and are to proud to ask for help or advice. They may have been diving for years and years and years..... but they are a threat to everyone they come in contact with.

Guess I got carried away :mean: Rich

Rich

I don't think you got carried away. Isn't there some saying along the lines of there are none so ignorant as those that will not learn.

When my wife did her AOW in Thailand this year there was a man in the group who said he was going to go on and become a divemaster. Yet, he had no bouyancy control and thrashed around in the water like a demented stoat. I tagged along on her deep dive which was on a wreck. Thee dive had to be terminated before we got the chance to see the wreck because by the time they had finished their arithmetic exercises, he was down to 30 Bar when the rest of the group were at 90 Bar and the Instructor was at 120 Bar! The Instructor had to order him to the surface as initially he refused!

On the next dive he kicked the regulator out of my mouth twice before luckily he again ran short of air and had to surface. Yet as soon as the rest of us surfaced he was going on again about how the next course on the list was rescue Diver then Divemaster - yawn, yawn - none of the Divemasters or the Instructors at the shop liked diving with him.

God help us if he does qualify!

Looks like I got carried away too.

Regards

You mean people actually dive in lakes? Why would you do that? :confused:

The Great Lakes aren't really lakes they're mini oceans so I understand that, but other lakes? What's that all about?:confused:

Seriously, better divers are those that dive frequently and in varying environmental conditions be it fresh and/or salt water.

DSDO

Alan

:jester:

Tut tut! :sheik:

Not every frogman is born near a perfect pond! I commend those who love the sport enough to practice in dark quarries & duck-pooped lakes while they save up for a trip to Sharm-el-Shek or the Caymans. Then again, there are those who enjoy lake diving because they do search & recovery. You can make some candy money bringing up lost outboard motors, eyeglasses, baby buggies, you name it! And staying in practice between trips means that we, the potential vacation boat buddies of the Ladies of the Lake (and men) are safer, too.

Yes, Rich & Welsh, I too have met those whose ambitions exceed their amphibiousness. Usually, guys who need super-advanced certifications (by ThursdaY) to qualify for raises at jobs that involve water work are the biggest hazards. One group I was with had to have 2 qualification dives done by 8am because they had to be to work by 8:30. Then one had 6 more to get done in the next 3 days, including drysuit & rescue certification dives! Do they really have time to learn & get comfortable? Pride comes before a fall, and I dont mean a giant stride, either!

Originally posted by Walter
It's like the old question, "Who's smarter - men or women?" The correct answer is, "Which man and which woman?"

Some lake divers are better than some ocean divers and some ocean divers are better than some lake divers. The best dive in all conditions.

with Walter.....and add the following ...the diver who takes care, follows the "rules" and is safe............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom