Lake Fontana diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went back to the lake this past weekend and was going to dive, but my kids were having such a good time playing in the water I just played with them the whole time. I didn't get an actual surface temp reading, but it felt much warmer. I'd be really surprised if the surface temp is lower than 75. I hope to go back and dive sometime this week hopefully. I'll post dive report and conditions then. From the way the water felt and the very high temps we've had, I'm guessing the surface will be around 75-80 and I'm expecting (hoping?) the bottom taemp will be above 60.

Btw, I live within 30-45 minutes of Nantahala, Fontana, and Santeetlah, so if anyone ever wants to dive any of these lakes just let me know. My wife isn't a fan of the lakes, esp. if the water is even slightly chilly, so I'm always looking for a dive buddy! I know of a few more lakes local to the area that are pretty good diving too.

I did a quick dive at Santeetlah yesterday. I was using the remaining air in one of my tanks, so I didn't stay down long and only went to 16ft. While I didn't go very deep, the water has warmed up a bit. The surface temp was 76 (up 7 degrees from 2 weeks ago) and the temp at 16ft was 63. I probably won't be able to do another dive here until July. I expect by then it should be really warm with all the really hot weather we've been having.

Hi,

Just noticed you have some info on dive info for Fontana. I am interested in diving there at some point but it may be a while before I can since we live far away now. Have you been able to dive Fontana yet? Or know of anyone who has? I am very interested in any photos or info from divers that have seen the communities/structures or historical stuff that is a part of the creation of the lake and their locations.

Thanks for your time,
Michael

I have not had a chance to dive there yet, and I'm not sure if I will get to this summer. I'm hoping to, but my main dive buddy, my wife, has zero interest in diving that lake. I'm planning on this winter when the lake level is down trying to eye some structures that might be diveable. If you make it to the area and would be interested in trying it out, let me know and we'll try to plan a trip.

Thanks for the reply. I understand. I am not sure myself as to when we will be in town with gas prices and such, might not even be until next year. I may try to catch back up with you in the future about it. Good luck if you do get to dive it!

I thought that i would throw in my .02 cents since I live here too.. Fontana is a horriable dive there is approximately 5-6 muddy slit on the bottom and you really cant see your hand in front of your face. I would have to rec. other lakes like Santeetlah lake, Glennville lake but i think you would be dissapointed with Fontana. haha also the local myth about the cat fish in the lake the size of VW bugs.

Thanks for the info chadd7881. That's a bummer about the visibility. Wonder what time of the year might be the clearest (if that exists?)? Have you been diving there much?

Big cats eh? I might have to get a bigger knife. thanks again.

yeah i have dove it at least 10 times (spring, summer, fall and winter) looking for boaters horrible conditions everytime. not a recommended dive i would really suggest Glennville lake it is probably the best lake to dive in the area. but i have heard good things about Santeetlah too... yeah i think a samauri dive sword would be in order there

This is great info, thanks. So you're saying that you think Glenville is the best diving lake in the area? You're referring to the Lake Glenville between Cullowhee and Cashiers correct? What kind of vis can you normally expect? Is there anything of interest to see there? How does it compare with Jocassee (which I consider the best diving lake in the area)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom