Lake Huron/Port Sanilac July 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiggrr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I have no loyalty to any one dive shop. I am on the mailing lists for pretty much all of the shops within an hour driving. So, I got this email for a group trip with Divers Inc. out of Ann Arbor. Always down for new dive buddies and new adventures so, off I went. The trip was both Sat and Sun but, I had to work Sat. They got blown out for Saturday and had dinner before I got there. 2 of the guys from the shop came and kept me company while I ate. Gotta say, it was pretty cool for those guys from Divers Inc to meet me for dinner. Huge Kudos for making me feel welcome.

Divers Incorporated, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Scuba classes, Scuba Equipment, Dive Lessons and Travel at Divers Incorporated, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Ann Arbors first PADI National Geograpic Dive Center, Specializing in Dive Travel, Scuba Adventures, Lake H

Well, we met up at the Marina and did all of the basics...paperwork, setting gear up, meeting the other divers. Gary has a great set up. He's a really nice guy and his friend Linda was a big help with a huge smile! She came prepared with backups of pretty much everything in her car. One of these days, that will be me. The briefings were thorough and they even had laminated pics of the wrecks. I learned a lot from them even though I had been there a few times. The boat is very nice and has a lot of room. He has good taste in cookies as well. He was very safe and made sure we were all capable of doing these dives. Putting safety first is always a kudo in my book.

Rec and Tec Scuba Dive Charters - Lexington Michigan, Thumb area Preserve, Sanilac Preserve

The weather was perfect. Sunny, 80's, with I think 1 footers. If even that much??

The first dive was the Mary Alice B. When I have my computer, I will edit with the numbers. The vis was fine. Not bad but, not the best either. Its an easy wreck to silt so, we were extra careful. I don't know what my deal was but, I had a heck of a time with my buoyancy. Inflate, dump, inflate, dump. I'm a little new at Steel 80's but, not that new. I don't know.

The craziest part of this dive was that the temp was like 10 degrees colder than it was a month ago. Around 43 for both dives. I saw my first gromit and the toilet. The grommit was weird and I didn't get a pic. My toilet pics were ok. Will get better pics next time. Something to look forward to..A successful dive I must say.

Then we did the Regina. I love the Regina. It has a massive prop and you can clean off the name on the side. I was finally able to fit the entire name into the picture. It usually has a lot of gobies but, with the colder water, there were barely any.
It was just as cold as the Mary Alice! What is going on here!!???

My dive buddies get a huge thumbs up! We stayed together pretty well and had the same Air Consumption. No issues except for me. Haha. For the 2nd dive, I was the last one in. I did my giant stride without my fins and my mask came off. I had issues putting it back on as I wear two hoods so, I needed my buddy and a line to make it back to the boat. We all know diving is a dangerous sport so, I'm just saying.....please don't let anything major be the result of forgetting my fins and mask coming off. Gonna work on putting my mask on with those hoods on Wednesday in Spring Mill Pond.

Finished off the day with a double cheese burger, chili cheese fries, and a root beer float at A&W. It was fun and I can't wait to do it again.

They got blown out for Saturday[...]
What?! We did two charters on Saturday (AM and PM) and the weather was perfect. There was certainly a breeze and we enjoyed watching all the sailboats in the Port Huron to Mackinac race flying by with their spinnakers out on their way up north but we were moored up behind you guys on the Regina on Sunday and the waves were way bigger then than they ever were on Saturday...

I'm in the process of editing some video we shot over the weekend which I'll post up here soon...

Last edited:
What?! We did two charters on Saturday (AM and PM) and the weather was perfect. There was certainly a breeze and we enjoyed watching all the sailboats in the Port Huron to Mackinac race flying by with their spinnakers out on their way up north but we were moored up behind you guys on the Regina on Sunday and the waves were way bigger then than they ever were on Saturday...

I'm in the process of editing some video we shot over the weekend which I'll post up here soon...

Eeeek, I hope you didn't see me go in without my fins and knock my mask off all in one fell swoop!

I don't know about the why's and the where's but, yup....they didn't go out.

Looking forward to your video. I took some pics and will post them later if I can get my crappy photobucket account to work. :D

I am just trying to figure out the whole fins thing? How did Linda let you off the boat? She usually is policing that deck pretty well. Oh well. I would have loved to have seen it. I am sure everyone on the boat had a good chuckle.

I am pretty sure Gary had a good reason for not going out.

I am just trying to figure out the whole fins thing? How did Linda let you off the boat? She usually is policing that deck pretty well. Oh well. I would have loved to have seen it. I am sure everyone on the boat had a good chuckle.

I KNOW! She wouldn't have! She was already in the water and Gary turned his back for like 1 second. I was the last one in. I swear...that was the first time for me. No, really. :lotsalove:

Yea, Gary is really good at the safety thing. I liked that alot.

Yup. Thats what it looked like.

Cool video.

Just went thru my computer and here are my numbers.

Regina 72 ft 33 min 45 degrees
Mary Alice B 86 ft 29 min 43 degrees

Ok, I'm just saying.....in June the Regina was 49 degrees and the Mary Alice B was 52 degrees. What the heck?!?! Did a chunk of iceburg break off 10 years ago and finially flow into Lake Huron??

This time last year I distinctly remember being on the Regina with no hood or gloves... NOT this year!

You are not the first to jump in without fins. I have video of my old dive buddy while we were in Hawaii jumping in for a dive without his fins. The DM videoing the dive edited the video so we got to see him jump in, come back out, jump in in sloooow moooootion, etc. It was really funny. (My dive buddy did finally see the humor too!)

Glad you had a great time. Gary runs a good ship and Dive Inc has a good crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom