Lake Jocassee boat ramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is the boat ramp for divers open & what is the VIS. & temp @ Jocassee the week of Apr. 20, 2008?? HELP

Thanks Skierch

One of our DIR-Atlanta guys was up there this past Saturday. Here is his description of conditions:
We arrived at the diver's boat ramp about 9:30 AM - only a few other divers were there. I was expecting a larger crowd of student certification groups, but maybe it is a little too early in the season for that. We unloaded our gear down by the water's edge, and everyone got set up.

Only one of the students had ever dove at Lake Jocassee before, so we gave them a quick tour of the immediate area, and located both of the training platforms (currently at depths of 6-8 and 20 feet, due to the low water levels). I set up a float ball on the deeper platform, which was to be the primary location for our first dive.

The water temp at the surface was about 70 degrees, and there was a noticeable thermocline at about 12 feet. Temp below this was in the mid-60s. The students were a little chilly in their 3mm wetsuits (which I had warned them about, but "oh well"). I was toasty in the drysuit, at least until it started to leak. :(
The rest of the posting describes what the did on their dives (it was a Rescue class). I don't think they went very deep - just down to the Bones family. No mention of what the visibility was.

Anybody know how much of the boat ramp is in the water? The last time I was down. Only about the last foot of the ramp was in the water. Makes for a hard entry on a old man.

You prompted me to pull out my logbook. My buddy and I have made two trips out to Jocassee this year. April 12th we made a short dive to a max depth of 64ffw. Accordind to my computer, the temp at depth was 51 degrees and 60 degrees on the surface. We went again on April 25th, the temps were 53 at 61ffw and 74 degrees on the surface. The lake is down alot, only a foot or two of the ramp is in the water. You'll be putting your fins on standing on the rocks. According to Duke Powers website Check Lake Levels - Duke Energy the lake is down almost 25 feet. The drought is evident looking at the lake. The lake was full at this time of year in 06 and 07. With it 20+ feet down right now, I wonder what it will look like in August.

Quick update for anyone interested.

Surface temps are in the upper 60's, thermocline at about 20', and temps below in the low to mid 50's. Dove this past weekend with a class of Advanced deep students to a max depth of 105' with my Bare Arctic 7mm, and 3mm hooded vest and was toasty warm. Hoods are a must, and gloves highly recommended if you plan to spend any time below 60'. Dove off the North side of the Ramp near the Bones Family, and past the cattle gate to the "Haunted Forest". Vis was OK, but deteriorated quickly due to the large number of students at the Ramp over the weekend.

Dive Safe.

This past Saturday I experienced 62 degrees at 40 feet. The lake is waaaay down still. While not as bad as the end of last season, the frame of the 15 ft. platform by the bones family is barely underwater and no platform left.

Viz was decent unless you follow another group.

The main 20 ft. platform is at about 9 ft., and has been damaged. It is on such an angle you can't stay on it unless you hook your feet around the upper side. You just slide off!

I can't imagine 3 mil in that water. We had students in two-pieces farmer johns, one in a full 3 with two shorties, handed out hoods and gloves and these folks still were freezing, especially after the second dive.

I also did a class today thursday June 5th, 2008 at the ramp. The first platform is still damaged and was is 11 feet, the line that runs from the second platform to the bones family was torn apart. so if I don't get back to repair it you may still find them by using the old steel platform that is in three feet of water to the left of the ramp, that yellow line is still intact. at 60 feet the water was 66 degrees and at 25 feet it was 72 degrees with excellent mid week 20 foot vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom