Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the platform that is gone is the one off to the left of the ramp? The 2 off the end of the ramp are still there? what is the depth at the 1st platform at the end of the ramp and approx temp? thanks all for the updates.

For the platform that is to the left of the ramp, the metal frame is still there, but the wood platform pieces have mysteriously disappeared.

The 1st platform at the end of the ramp is severely damaged and unusable for anything except a landmark. The depth at the end of the ramp on Sunday, June 21 was 22 feet, so that should make the depth of the 1st platform about 30 feet and depth of the 2nd platform about 40 feet.

Water temp at 30 feet was about 72 degrees on the 21st. Surface temp of the water is 78 - 80 degrees. Viz is improving a bit, now about 12 feet at shallow depths.

Last edited:
Jocassee update for Sunday, June 28th:

Got up early and headed for the lake. I went out with Off the Wall Charters. We only had four divers on the boat Rocky (boat Captain), Kim,her son Austin, and myself.Rocky's wife and niece went along to play in the water.It was a beautiful, warm day on the lake.

Dive 1: Mt.Carmel Church Cemetery
I have been waiting all year for this one.The original down line is now 28-30 feet dwon but someone had tied and orange bucket to it about 8 feet under the surface.We went down by the Whitmire plot.Rocky and I swam out to the Hinkle stone and then out to Doris' stone.It was covered with silt but I quickly found it.I always get emotional visiting with Doris or maybe I am just way narced.It was a COLD 50 degrees down there and I was the only one diving wet.Max depth was 136 feet with a 30 minute dive time.Deco was 4 minutes but I did 8.The air 100 gave me plenty of air--the dive could be done with an 80 but you better watch your air!

Dive 2: The Cove by the Wall
My first time in the cove--always dive the Junk but Kim was low on air due to a bad fill on her doubles, so we did something nice and easy.I followed the group for 30 minutes or so and then went out on my own.I found both training platforms and the Trench---pretty neat with depths of 60 feet and lots of rock walls.Most of the cove was 30-35 feet with bottom temps near 70 degrees.Max depth was 56 feet for 56 minutes.Nice area to play around after a deep dive.

We then just swam in the cove for a while and Austin climbed and jumped off the wall.He must have been at least 30 feet up and said his feet hit the bottom on his second junp--so be very cautious.To be 16 again---Don't think my old butt could climb 5 feet up the wall.It was a fun day of diving with 3 of my best dive buddies.

Happy diving everyone.

We dove there the weekend before this. A question, we have only dove this sight the one time, and it was just my wife and I. When we went down we saw the large stone that the line goes to, but we didn't see any others. How do you locate the other stones, particiularly Doris's stone. It would be nice to locate them the next time were down. Thanks!!

We dove there the weekend before this. A question, we have only dove this sight the one time, and it was just my wife and I. When we went down we saw the large stone that the line goes to, but we didn't see any others. How do you locate the other stones, particiularly Doris's stone. It would be nice to locate them the next time were down. Thanks!!

Hey there Yrth,

I am pretty sure we dived together on Bill's boat a few weeks ago.You and I dropped on the Wall together but I had to leave you at 150 feet---I am just a lowly recreational diver!The large stone you saw in the cemetery was the Hinkle stone.There are a couple of smaller white stones near the Hinkle stone, but I can't read them.The line continues out past the Hinkle stone where it ends at a stob near the woods.Doris's headstone is to your right just before the line ends.It looks like it was put down yesterday.It reads:
Doris Yvonne Hamilton
Nov 27th, 1934 Nov 12th, 1936
I Pray to the Lord My Soul to Keep

We have always believed Doris to still be buried there due to no open pit at the grave.

July 4th was not as busy as I thought it would be. I dove to the first airplane wing to the left of the ramp. At about 78 feet it was 69 degrees. I tried not using a wetsuit and it was a little cool.
There was some jerk that drove his boat through the no boat area and as my brother and dad and I were ascending I looked up, as I was leading the dive and saw it right above us. We moved over and came up. They said that the Rangers told them to go to the dive ramp to park and pick up people. We told them that there were divers down below and hey said that there was no flag. The flag that was up when I got there was no where to be found. I put my flag out for the rest of the time I was there and tried to warn others as well. But I do not know how the boat "Captain" missed the "No Boat" buoys. Have any of you had this happen to you as well?
We told the Rangers what happened but I could not get the boat ID number so there was nothing they could do.

As a side note I would love to dive the graveyard sometime.

Hey there Yrth,

I am pretty sure we dived together on Bill's boat a few weeks ago.You and I dropped on the Wall together but I had to leave you at 150 feet---I am just a lowly recreational diver!The large stone you saw in the cemetery was the Hinkle stone.There are a couple of smaller white stones near the Hinkle stone, but I can't read them.The line continues out past the Hinkle stone where it ends at a stob near the woods.Doris's headstone is to your right just before the line ends.It looks like it was put down yesterday.It reads:
Doris Yvonne Hamilton
Nov 27th, 1934 Nov 12th, 1936
I Pray to the Lord My Soul to Keep

We have always believed Doris to still be buried there due to no open pit at the grave.

We definitely dove together!! I really appreciate you showing me the deep line and joining me to 150'. I wish you could have joined us for Sunday, it was just Corrine and I on the boat. We got in 2 good dives. We swam right by Doris' grave and didn't see it.. We will look next time. Hope we can get together again sometime.

Can any of ya'll advise where the ramp is? My wife and I are coming down in September and would love to do a couple of shore dives while waiting for the boat dive on Saturday. We'll be staying/camping at the state park. Thanks

The boat ramp is not to far from the main boat ramp about a quarter moli out on your left. by way of the road you wiil go past the main interance (boat ramp) down the road a .5 mile I beleave it is the first right after the main interance . . I hope you injoy your diving in Jocassee It is a real good place to dive . Last I herd the viz is pritty good . I will be there Aug. 22 with my buddy Tony . We like Jocassee.

GOOD LUCK DIVE SAFE

KEN

Can any of ya'll advise where the ramp is? My wife and I are coming down in September and would love to do a couple of shore dives while waiting for the boat dive on Saturday. We'll be staying/camping at the state park. Thanks

To reach the diver's ramp, take the first paved left after you enter the state park (if you go past the store/restrooms and turn-off to the main boat ramp, you've gone to far).

Immediately go past a turn-off to a picnic area and proceed about a quarter mile. Bear right to avoid going up a hill to the ranger's residence. Stay on this road and proceed to a fee station (honor system) and pick up your park pass if you haven't already paid for the day.

There are places to turn, but stay on this road as it twists and turns for a mile or two. When you come to a fork in the road with signs for boat ramps at both forks, take the right fork. Proceed about a half mile to the parking area of the diver's ramp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom