Lake Lanier: Diving Compendium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend of mine and I have been working on a diving compendium of Lake Lanier for the last year or so.

I'd like to know if there are any divers in the Atlanta area that would like to help us work on this project.

This is strictly a volunteer project.

Our goal is to dive on and document those structures that were inundated by the creation of Lake Lanier.

This is not a project for the faint of heart. This project involves a great deal of diving with very limited visibility and cold water.

By the time we reach the end of the project we will also be doing some dives that approach the absolute maximum depth recommended for recreational dives.

The ultimate goal of our project is to develop and publish a compendium of those submerged sites in Lake Lanier that will allow divers in the immediate Atlanta area, and throughout the south, to experience some challenging and interesting diving within a minimal driving time area. The compendium will also provide more accurate, up-to-date GPS and Lat/Lon co-ordinates along with reference azimuths and distances to adjacent structures.

If you feel that you would be interested in working on this project please contact me through this board.

Thanx . . .
Dennis McLeroy

I might be interested. I live about 3 -4 hrs away so advanced notice would be needed I guess.

dave

That sounds interesting. Can you give us some more information? What sort of diving conditions are normal for Lake Lanier? When was the lake impounded and what type of structures are you talking about? I am about 2.5-3 hours away but I could make it for a weekend here and there if given enough notice.

Randy

I would be interested. Sounds like good nav practice. What sort of commitment are you looking for? I can dive weekends but not much else. I live in Lawrenceville, Ga. (about 30min to 1 hour awayfrom the lake).

James

Backwoods, I'll try to answer your questions in some manner or succint order:
1: Impounded 1956-59
2: Structures: Dwellings, farm buildings, service stations, a race track . . .
(Most structures have already collapsed. Some are still
partially standing.)
3: Water Temp: Varies; 40 F at the 140' level year round, 50 - 80F seasonal/depth
4: Visibility: Varies; 6 inches to 25/30'
5: Bottom: Varies; clay/rocky to deep silt

In general, the conditions are those in which the vast majority of divers choose not to dive.

The only committment is to show up, be prepared, review the dive plan, dive the plan, and return safely to the surface.

I don't want to scare anyone off but neither do I want to glorify the project. Just call it as it is.

Dives will be planned well in advance so that all logistical concerns may be satisfied.

Thanx for your responses . . .
Dennis

The Kracken:
A friend of mine and I have been working on a diving compendium of Lake Lanier for the last year or so.

I'd like to know if there are any divers in the Atlanta area that would like to help us work on this project.

This is strictly a volunteer project.

Our goal is to dive on and document those structures that were inundated by the creation of Lake Lanier.

This is not a project for the faint of heart. This project involves a great deal of diving with very limited visibility and cold water.

By the time we reach the end of the project we will also be doing some dives that approach the absolute maximum depth recommended for recreational dives.

The ultimate goal of our project is to develop and publish a compendium of those submerged sites in Lake Lanier that will allow divers in the immediate Atlanta area, and throughout the south, to experience some challenging and interesting diving within a minimal driving time area. The compendium will also provide more accurate, up-to-date GPS and Lat/Lon co-ordinates along with reference azimuths and distances to adjacent structures.

If you feel that you would be interested in working on this project please contact me through this board.

Thanx . . .
Dennis McLeroy
DENNIS
I AM INTERESTED...I LIVE ON THE LAKE BUT ONLY RECENTLY HAVE ATTAINED DIVING INSTRUCTION, INCLUDING RESCUE DIVING AND NITROX...DO YOU HAVE A NEED FOR INTERESTED BUT "ROOKIE" DIVERS?

Dennis
I Am Interested...i Live On The Lake But Only Recently Have Attained Diving Instruction, Including Rescue Diving And Nitrox...do You Have A Need For Interested But "rookie" Divers?

Yes, indeed.
As we're starting out, the dives are relatively shallow. The major areas of concern right now are temps, visability and fishing line.

I see you've done rescue so Iwould expect that you are relatively comfortable in very low visability situations.

My major problem is that I have to rely on by buddy's boat to make the dives.

Thanx so much for the reply. Hopefully we can put together a sizeable cadre for this enterprise.

By the way, you'll get some excellent practice in navigation and a distant cousin of "search and recovery".

How Can I Get A Hold Of You To Chat More Or Meet Face To Face?

I'd like to dive the lake with "those who know" and maybe get some dry suit and nav in low visibility exp.

If I can participate, let me know. -james@craig.net- My boss just dropped a boat on the lake also, can't speak for him but he seems interested in letting me dive off it. He might be a help as far as an occasional boat resource (could dive 4-6 maybe without much problem).

The Kracken:
Backwoods, I'll try to answer your questions in some manner or succint order:
1: Impounded 1956-59
2: Structures: Dwellings, farm buildings, service stations, a race track . . .
(Most structures have already collapsed. Some are still
partially standing.)
3: Water Temp: Varies; 40 F at the 140' level year round, 50 - 80F seasonal/depth
4: Visibility: Varies; 6 inches to 25/30'
5: Bottom: Varies; clay/rocky to deep silt

In general, the conditions are those in which the vast majority of divers choose not to dive.

The only committment is to show up, be prepared, review the dive plan, dive the plan, and return safely to the surface.

I don't want to scare anyone off but neither do I want to glorify the project. Just call it as it is.

Dives will be planned well in advance so that all logistical concerns may be satisfied.

Thanx for your responses . . .
Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom