Lake Lewisville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the story on this place? It's just north of Dallas, but I don't see anyone diving on it.

When I was looking around for a shop to help at this summer up here in Dallas I went in one that was about half a mile from the lake, but they went to Clear Springs for their diving.

What's the word?

The word is that Lake Lewisville is chock full of the craziest and drunkest boaters and jetskiers in the state. It has averaged about 3-4 fatalities a year for the last five years, approximately. I wouldn't be caught dead diving there -- literally!

check this thread to get an idea of the vis at Ray Roberts.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t63610.html

Besides it is, I believe, the deadliest lake in Texas. You stand a good chance of getting run over and mutilated if not killed by a drunk boater.... there are lots of them there.

Zagnut:
Besides it is, I believe, the deadliest lake in Texas. You stand a good chance of getting run over and mutilated if not killed by a drunk boater.... there are lots of them there.

It lost this dubious claim to fame last year. It remains in the top 5 though.

By diving standards, its shallow, vis is horrible, and its just dangerous.

If it were diveable, I would be there every weekend. I can hook up my boat, drive there, and be in the water in 20 minutes.

TwoBit

I vouch for what the others say about Lake Lewisville- my daughter lives next to this lake, and it is an extremely busy lake, too busy. The last time we were on it, we got off the boat to see EMS and Firefighters driving around the lake, evidently to an accident site.

I'm on that lake when not under water.. Heck, it's a dangerous lake when your on the surface! Not a place for divers...

My rescue instructor was a Paramedic/Fireman on Lake Lewisville for several years. He was there to pull many victims out of the water, including the one that was run over by Rodman's boat. I used to ski on that lake but quit because it just got too dangerous. Between that and what my instructor told us in class, I will never dive that lake. Actually, I will probably never even put a boat on it either.

That's cool, thanks for the explanation.

We drove up that way to visit some friends in Plano one weekend, and I did comment to my bud about how crowded that place looked.

Garyra:
He was there to pull many victims out of the water, including the one that was run over by Rodman's boat.

Opinions and conjecture abound about this accident. Nothing has ever been proven by anyone.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom