Lake Martin, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katzdiver

New
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever dove Lake Martin, AL...? The dive shop (Chattahoochee Scuba) where I am a Divemaster candiate is looking for decent local diving for our students (OWS, AOWS, etc...). Any information on Lake Martin or other sites w/in 150 miles of Columbus, GA would be greatly appreciated.

Try contacting Uncle Ricky or Tom Smedly on here, they have vast experience with the lake. I've been wanting to come out and dive it with them one of these days.

Matt

We dive Lake Martin on a regular basis. Do a search on Kowaliga and you will find our many dive reports. PM me for specific questions.

...who taught SCUBA classes in Sumter SC?? If so I was one of your students in the 83 time frame! I'm new to the Montgomery area, and am interested in finding some dive sites on Lake Martin. I have a trailer at the Maxwell-Gunter Rec area, and a boat up there to boot! Looking for something to do with my dive equipment since I moved from Sunny FL!

Cheers!
Scott

Well I dove Lake Martin this week! Made a dive on Thursday at 0900 in the morning at Chimney Rock. Nice deep area, defined by vertical rock walls (both above and below water), and potential to see some fish, find some trinkets, and have something to look at:)

Had to get there early during the weekday to beat the "cliff jumpers", and succeeded:) Water temp was nice (mid 70s my guess), and stayed nice until about 35' feet where we hit the thermocline from hell! My guess is it was about 60 degrees, and too cold for me in just a 3 mil vest! Visibility was good....15' is my estimate, and was clearer up top then it was down below.

60 minute dive at 20-30'...saw some bass, some bream, and one catfish. Picked up two watches from the bottom (both work!), a coke bottle from Perioria Ill (significant only because my daughter's good friend is from there, and was back there for her brothers graduation and couldn't join us at the lake), an earring (sterling silver hoop type with clasp still closed....OUCH!), a leather wrist bracer, one frat "miller lite" wed night drinking shirt, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and a few other odds and ends:) A lot of silt, and my daughter (despite my warnings to stay off the bottom) kicked up quite a bit....no real current so slow to settle down.

Just wanted to get in the water, and it was actually a pleasureable dive:) Next I'll try to dive the Kowaliga area...just have to gather a few more facts first:)

Cheers!
Scott

i hear there are underwater caves there, i actually heard that the cave are old gold mines, does any one know about that?

I'm planning three or four dives next month on the rock...are you saying that bottom is around 60'?

There's a town down there somewhere. No kidding.

yes indeed. Way back when, the government "bought out" (read said take this measly payment or be drowned) all the landowners and then flooded the town without even knocking anything down to make the lake. It's all still down there. Apparently someone has dove on the post office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom