Lake Murray 8/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just arrived at Marrietta Landing, waiting for some friends to arrive to dive. The last few times I have been up here, the place was packed with divers, but today, there doesn't appear to be anyone but us. My previous ventures up here have been in the spring. Is it common for the diving crowd to thin out up here in the summer?

I will try to post an update on the conditions after the first dive.

Shortly after my first post, several divers started to show up. Still not as many as I have seen there in the spring.

Vis was around 3 to 15 feet, depending upon where you were. Surface temp was in the mid 80's with a Thermocline around 30'.

Your right, the place starts to thin out about this time of year.
We were up there diving near Tucker Tower last week.
We were diving between the Steel tower and the spillway a few weeks ago.

School has started and folks have other things to do so usually the place gets nice about this time of year. By November there won't be anybody there except divers.
Those of us that like to dive at Lake Murray go there year round and enjoy having the place to ourselves. The water gets the clearest around February. It's sort of cold then too ( 44 degrees) but what would you expect it to be. :D
Most of the time you probably won't find us 'above the thermocline'.
The crazy stuff at Lake Murray is down in the dark. :wink:

Frank,
You madman- making me climb rocks- :wink:

Your right about the depth and vis-
Hanging at 70ft- with a light on can't see kaka.
Oh, I forgot to metion hanging off and underwater cliff face sweeping my hand looking for more line.
Hey, boss- what happened to the line. HEHEHEHEH :D

Andrew

We did find one interesting item in the shallows. We found a small catfish that had itself hooked on a line that was tangled on the lake bottom. It had just about exhausted itself trying to get free from the tether. We did cut it loose, but were not sure if it had enough stregth to survive long enough to find some food and recover. At least we gave it a chance.

I have heard quite a bit about the deep stuff in Murray. I have watched your posts. I did my AOW deep dive in Murray, and remember it being quite dark at 63ft, and that was in the relatively clear waters of mid April.

Thanks!

Frank,
Are you still dragging people down to the crab trap?
Next time you go, give me a shout.
JR

richerso:
Frank,
Are you still dragging people down to the crab trap?
Next time you go, give me a shout.
JR

LOL...!!! John we have moved onto more finds in the lake....though the Crab Trap holds a dear spot in my heart---and love diving it....we need to show you the WALL and the PLANE and even the STRUCTURE!!

Alan,
We need to car pool! :D
Please let me know the next time you are heading that way- please.

Later, Andrew

texdiveguy:
LOL...!!! John we have moved onto more finds in the lake....though the Crab Trap holds a dear spot in my heart---and love diving it....we need to show you the WALL and the PLANE and even the STRUCTURE!!

I'll volunteer to haul gear in the back of my pick'em-up truck ! ! ! ! I wanna go too! And Alan, I still wanna go dive the crab trap again.

richerso:
I'll volunteer to haul gear in the back of my pick'em-up truck ! ! ! ! I wanna go too! And Alan, I still wanna go dive the crab trap again.

Sounds like a plan!

Back
Top Bottom