Lake Ouachita, AR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm up for this! Keep me in the loop!

I certified (the 2nd time) in Lake Quachita - but somehow haven't made it back to dive

I know that Rick's Dive shop out of Little Rock runs a pontoon dive boat there on weekends in the summer - $30 per diver - but haven't been with them.
http://www.ricksdivecenter.com/center/center_index.html

Air Fills are available at one of the marinas on the lake through Ocean Extreme - another Little Rock Dive shop - I'd call & verify though as I once heard the fill station was temporarily shut down.
( Lake Ouachita.)

Air fills are also available at the Scuba & Archery Center in Hot Springs. I've gotten fills there before because I travel to Hot Springs frequently for work related stuff. I don't know what/if their weekend hours might be. They are about 1/3 dive shop & 2/3 archery shop.

Lake DeGray is a little closer to Texas than Quachita & just as clean & good vis. I dove near the dam once with some folks associated with the part-time dive shop out of El Dorado, Arkansas (I forget the name)

There's a lot of hotels & stuff to do in Hot Springs if you want to make a longer trip of it &/or have non-divers with you. Also a dog track if you are into that. There's a fairly large bike-rally there each year also. Or there are quite a few accommodatons closer to the lake for Lake Quachita.

For Lake Degray you can camp, stay at the State Park Lodge - nice place - Arkansas lodging at Lake DeGray Lodge, a lakeside resort & there are a few other local accommodations you can google up - or you may want to stay in Hot Springs. For $ & convenience the closest name-brand motels to Lake Degary are at the Caddo Gap exit on I-30 just past Arkadelphia. These are only 10 or 15 minutes from the lake & pretty convenient.

Coming from Texas you'll want to take I-30 to the Caddo Gap exit just past Arkadelphia, AR & take Hwy 7 which crosses over Lake DeGray & goes into Hot Springs

Both are supposed to be among the cleanest lakes in the country - and both reportedly get pretty cold below the thermocline. Both are quite deep (over 220') I've fished them both & seen it on my depthfinder. (Oh, - & you can spearfish on both lakes - check State of Arkansas for regulations)

I know at least one of the Dallas dive clubs has had events at Quachita (Scubadillos?)

I'd like to head up to DeGray some weekend this summer, but have no plans yet - I have a boat, so if anybody's going - or wanting to go - drop me a line & maybe we can cook something up. (I'm in Texarkana BTW)

Great information!! Thanks to all of you. Keep it coming! It sounds like we might have a nice sized group if we can pick a good date.

What are ya'll thinking? Sept? Oct?

There's a chance I could be out of pocket Sept 2-8, so that would cancel out Labor Day weekend. I'm up for just about any other date. Late Sept/early Oct would probably work best for me.

Who wants to go?

I think Scuba Ventures out of Shreveport dives there and I think Bill has a couple pontoon boats that stay there most of the season.

SCUBA VENTURES

BILLY AND MAX OBERLE
1817 TEXAS AVE.
SHREVEPORT, LA 71103

318-222-3483

That would be a long haul for me if I took the pontoon boat, I have dove in DeGray years ago, and it's ok, was only shore diving, didn't take the boat up. Sound like a big group of folks would be interested, probably a lot more than could fit on my 20 footer.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out....:D

K-Valve, if this trip coincides with my work schedule (whatever it turns out to be, it can be chaotic) I would be happy to ride with and chip in or whatever. I am only about 35mins south of Austin.

I have done many trips to Hot Springs and the Ozarks when I was still in college as a Geology major, never dove there though.

There are actually a number of minerals that are unique to Hot Springs only. :)

Hi John,

Except for a few days in Oct. 7-12th each month has it's possible dates for me open. Would be willing to share the cost of the pontoon rental. Hot Springs is a great tourist stop and has it's own interesting history. Been to this area several times and found it enjoyable....lake is very clean as the promo lit. says.

:wink:

I am headed to Balmorhea as well in a few weeks, when are you thinking about going? We may just run into each other. :)

The Kunk's are interested in a late September outing... a few things up in the air right now, but we are definitely interested in this trip. Would also be willing to help with Pontoon boat rental, would anyone else be camping RV style?

Rhonda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom