Lake Tenkiller Dive Trip (8.12.06)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Details...

Who:
PacketSniffer
Galscuba
Galscuba's friend
Richerso
Wet-Willie

What:
Diving in Lake Tenkiller from a rented pontoon boat.

When:
Saturday (8.12.06) @ xx:xx (Time needs to be finalized)

Where:
Six Shooter Marina @ Lake Tenkiller Directions (There are signs for Six Shooter Marina on Hwy 82.)

Why:
We live to dive and dive to Live. :D

Discovery of the early 1900s home sites that existed before the lake was flooded for the damn project.

Tank rental:
Tanks are available from Nautical Adventures. Let me know if you need any rental tanks. I can pick them up if time will be tight for you.

Number of Tanks: ?

Trip Expenses:
1) $50 each for pontoon rental (includes oil and nitro)
2) $10/day/tank if you need tanks

What to bring:
1) Sun block
2) Water
3) Lunch
4) Dive Gear ..all of it! ...including fins and mask! :D

Dive plan:
There are basically two types of dives offered from a boat that I've learned about at Tenkiller. They are the wall dives around the islands and the submerged home sites/structures. The islands will offer lots of fish and rock structure. The home sites will offer remnants of civilization from the early 1900s. We can do three dives and possibly squeak out a fourth depending on our remaining time, dive gas supply and chosen sites. Some of the home sites are pretty shallow right now (~20fsw) while some go to around 60fsw. I've been told the lake is about ten feet lower than normal now (my figures are adjusted). It's best of for us to stay towards the south end of the lake where the best visibility will be. I'll list the most popular sites told to me by the owner (Tim) of Nautical Adventures. We can decide which ones we want to do.

Sites
1) Old Bottles (debris) (~30fsw)
2) Wooden bridge (20 ~ 30fsw)
3) Ledge/wall w/lotsa fish (to ~70fsw)
4) Concrete bridge + road bed (~40fsw)
5) Island/wall (~40fsw)
6) Mob house (25 ~ 55fsw)
7) Skunk Island (~112fsw on east side, slides into old Illinois River bottom)

Summary
We should arrive at the marina fifteen minutes before our departure time (TBD). We'll have the boat for eight hours. We'll be eating on the boat as time will be tight due to distance to dive sites and speed (err, lack of..lol) of boat. Bring appropriate protective clothing as I'm not certain we'll get a boat with a canopy.

Resources
Nautical Adventures 918.457.3483

Vis Report

Map of marina meeting point

Six Shooter Marina 918.457.5152

I initially threw out a departure time of 09:00. That would put us back at the dock at 5:00pm. However, moving this time back to 11:00 would help galscuba acquire tanks from her source. What does everyone think about 11:00? Give me your thoughts please.

Richard

It's not a huge deal at all if you guys still want to plan on 9:00. If you can pick up tanks for me, that is. :) That's some great dive planning there, Packetsniffer!

Go! Go! Go! I am in! I plan on arriving at Six Shooter at 8:30am. I will be bringing four tanks with me; just in case. See y'all Saturday morning. 8:30am. I'll be monitoring scubaboard when I can. Always monitoring cell phone.

JR

PacketSniffer:
I initially threw out a departure time of 09:00. That would put us back at the dock at 5:00pm. However, moving this time back to 11:00 would help galscuba acquire tanks from her source. What does everyone think about 11:00? Give me your thoughts please.
I prefer 9am if galscuba can work it out. I plan to go up on Friday and stay the night since it is such a long drive for me. I will help with logistics if I can. I havent decided where I will spend the night yet, but I am leaning toward the state park.

Willie

PacketSniffer:
I'll list the most popular sites told to me by the owner (Tim) of Nautical Adventures. We can decide which ones we want to do.

Sites
1) Old Bottles (debris) (~30fsw)
2) Wooden bridge (20 ~ 30fsw)
3) Ledge/wall w/lotsa fish (to ~70fsw)
4) Concrete bridge + road bed (~40fsw)
5) Island/wall (~40fsw)
6) Mob house (25 ~ 55fsw)
7) Skunk Island (~112fsw on east side, slides into old Illinois River bottom)
I vote for something fairly close in, then we can travel to another site during SI, dive, repeat as often as practical. :)

Willie

Ok, it sounds like 09:00 works for everything then. 09:00 it is.

Update for me: I will only be bringing three tanks. If Rich or someone else in a position of authority should think that 4 tanks are necessary, I will be need one additional tank from somewhere.
Woo! Hoo! We're going diving !

9:00 will work just fine. I was thinking about going over on Friday evening and spending the night, too. Either way, I will be at Six Shooter at 9:00 to meet you guys. I look forward to this!!

Let's just go with three tanks. I think we're gonna be pressed for a fourth.

Who am I getting tanks for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom