Lake Travis report April 11-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This past weekend at Lake Travis was a great time to be outside camping and diving, if you're prepared for the 58f-61f degree water temps. Weather was warm and sunny during the day, then cool, and even cold and windy in the evenings, making for great sleeping in the tent. Visibility was still excellent for Travis, 20-30 feet in the shallows and quickly deteriorating below 75’.

Got to hang out and dive w/ regular Austin Swampers, K-Valve and Scubashawn123. Met Scubadale & Agdiver75, and saw LVX, Paul19may, and others out enjoying the weekend diving.

Midnight dive Friday was pleasant and surreal like astronauts floating through the void… easy to see dive buddies, even 20+ feet away, very cool.

Saturday had a great dive experience with Lake Travis Scuba, Robert Weiss’ new dive boat operation. Normally Robert loads up divers from Riviera Marina just around the corner from Windy Point, but because we were camping, Robert agreed to pick us up at the marker buoys, a brief swim out from the ladders at WP. This was a very convenient option because we didn’t have to load up and drive over to the marina… it felt like VIP treatment! :wink:

We headed out from WP over to Riviera Marina to drop off a diver from earlier that day. Robert’s slip is the second from the shore, making a short distance to carry gear. We were told the marina also has golf carts free to use to get gear from car to dock; a pretty easy setup for those departing from the marina.

Once we signed the usual releases we headed over to Starnes Island for a quick tour and then on to the Old Scuba Park which was a new destination for me. We dropped down an underwater buoy line directly to the first among many wrecks in the old park. Visibility was around 30’ and it was really easy to move from wreck to wreck, following the many lines run around the underwater park.

First wreck, some call the Catfish boat, was a double-decker which was easily penetrated. Then on to an old 18-wheeler Milk tanker, an upside-down swimming pool, and a bunch of other wrecked boats and stuff scattered about. Topography did not vary greatly, and average depth seemed to be around 58’ for the area we covered. I definitely want to go back again for some more exploring :eyebrow:.

Once finished, we cruised back over to WP and had another quick surface swim from the buoys to the park. It was a great trip and I really enjoyed diving from the Giant Stride which was well equipped for up to 8 divers w/ singles or 4 w/ doubles. I can recommend them with confidence for boat diving: See Lake Travis Scuba WEB_sam_2 for more details or to book a trip.

Later, Mack Diver came and picked me up to go to the SSASS meeting over at Johnny Finn’s, a pretty cool restaurant & bar (16405 Clara Van Trail (at Hurst Harbor) Off Highway 620, 4 miles south of Mansfield Dam, or five miles north of Highway 71) where we met up with a few more Swampers (see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/228823-april-ssass.html).

Afterwards, it was back to WP for a warm campfire, cold drinks, and a movie (yes I pack the DVD player when I camp). Sunday I slept till nine, then got up and reconfigured my regs for doubles and setup a new 40cuft deco bottle. Diving was great, as was the social scene where I had a chance to both give and receive some good jest w/ Paul19may… (DIMWIT wanna be :rofl3:)

All-in-all it was a great weekend to camp, dive, and socialize. Be sure to come out when you can and say hello…. Just look for the DIMWIT dive flag and you’re sure to find some Swampers around :D

We were in the Comal Sat. taking a nav course. On the way back we decided to stop by Travis and see what it was like.

We got there around 12 and decided to go in. I had only a 3mil wetsuit with hood and gloves. My buddy had a 2mil wetsuit with a 3mil shorty over it, no hood and gloves. I was comfortable with what I had on. My computer had us at 54' and a temp of 62. We only stayed down about 14 min as my buddy was just a bit cold. Had we really planned on diving there she would have been more prepared. I personally could have stayed down longer and could have easily done another dive. It wasn't bad for me.
I kind of thought there may be some of you swampers out there. I did see a flag with DIMWIT on it...was that a swamper? I remember reading a thread about that.
I did very much enjoy me short dive at Travis. I am looking forward ot returning and getting longer and more dives the next time there.

Heather and I really enjoyed the dive. We were pleased when we heard the report last week of the great vis. We were in Temple Saturday and were looking forward to decent vis diving on Sunday. We got to WP and asked about conditions. "Not so good" and "pretty murky" were comments from those leaving. Well......

Sunday conditions were GREAT. Vis was at least 20'. That equates to 4 times better than the water around Palestine.

Heather and I enjoyed visiting with Brandon, John, and Matt. We look forward to diving Travis several more time this year.

Dale

P.S. I thought you would die if you used a yellow harness instead of a black???

...:rofl3: Zinc? Any thoughts on this astute observation? Is it addressed in the DIMWIT dive manual by chance??

I didn't know the manual was there or I could have read it then. I guess ya'll will let me know.

I did like the DIMWIT flag though.

Sorry I had to bail out Sunday, but I'll definitely go diving this coming Saturday.. Glad everyone had a great time.

Nope, made it out alive, even though it was a daring, 1st time experience in equipment with an un-tested, unproven color :11:

I didn't know the manual was there or I could have read it then. I guess ya'll will let me know.

I did like the DIMWIT flag though.

Thanks, K-valve makes a mean flag.

As for the manual, I just faxed it to you.

What's your fax number?

Wait, somebody out there's probably confused by now...

Don't worry, I'll have a hard copy at the lake :D

I think that this summer we can post Zinc between a couple of the platforms to act as a crossing guard for the OW classes.:D

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom