Lakes Of Fuji-san

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacchill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone ever dive around Mt.Fuji. Last night I was looking at some cave pics and my buddy made a comment about how clear the water was and how the lakes around Fuji have good vis like that. So I decided to start researching if there are is any diving there.
Thanks
PacChill

Hi PacChill
The 5 lakes around fuji are know as the Fuj Go Ko (the fuji 5 lakes) and there is diving in one that I know of. I have dove once in Motosuko. That lake has one of the nicest views of Mt. Fuji. It used to be featured on the back of the JPY 5,000 bill, fuji reflecting on the lake perfectly. But it was replaced with the head of someone I am unfamiliar with.

Anyway, The lake is deep in some places and at altitude, so modified dive table is in effect. The bottom is silty so good fin kicks are a must. When I dove there, all I saw was a lot of quite large bass, somewhat interesting, and tons of snagged bass lures on the bottom. I suppose I could have made a nice tidy sum if I had collected and resold some of them. The lures sell new for 20 to 30 dollars each.

I can help you out withe specific details of diving there if you are interested (PM).

Jim

Just the fella I was wanting to reply to this. Sending PM
Willie

Bring your drysuit, it is cold water, can only dive there in the summer months.

Altitude rules in effect, cave dive kicks.

We dived Motosuko last Sunday. Excellent weather. 7 degrees C below 20 meters. Vis was about 30 m at 15 meters depth, below that between 3-10 meters.

http://www.jue.jp/en/node/804

I suspect it will be well below 7c before I get back home in Dec. I have GOTS to get me a drysuit! lol It's time to hit up Santa. I just don't know which I want more, a HID or a Drysuit. Almost a no-brainer rigth? After diving with James' HID, I'm going to miss having him around for the lamp.
Willie

26 degrees down here in Okinawa yesterday... Almost time to break out the 5 mil:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom