lamp or computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to Sharm El-Sheikh in Feb and want some advise. I am going to do my advanced open water over there. The question is I want to see all the colours on the reefs so I'm thinking of buying a good light hopefully not more that £100. I also want to but a computer. I can only get one. COMPUTER I hear you all shout. I will be diving with instructors who all have comps and I will be doing my tables as I would like to keep this skill up. If I get a comp will I miss out on all the colours?

I would say definitely a computer. The visibility and brightness in Sharm really means you don't need a torch apart from a night dive (and you're unlikely to do more than one of the in a week so can easily hire).

A computer will allow you to increas your dive time since you will not have to calculate your dive time as being at your maximum depth for the whole dive rather than a couple of minutes. I would also expect everyone else to have a computer out there plus the comapny will probably require you have your own dive timer (and possibly depth gauge).

During the daytime the colours don't change very much with a torch but if you particularly want a torch for this the Ikelite PCA lite (about £30 including batteries) has a good bright beam and fits in a BC pocket so you don't have it dangling around when you're not using it.

HTH

The Ikelite PCA is a great little light for keeping in your BC pocket. It would definetly be the cheaper of the two options. Depending on what gear you have, you need to have a bottom timer, Depth gauge, and SPG, but those should already be a part of your reg set-up. IF you don't want to shell out the cash for a computer, you don't have to. I don't know how many dives you've made, but I would suggest keeping your table skills and knowledge up to snuff. I have a computer, but it isn't all that fancy, yes it handles Nitrox, but I only spent $200 US on it. I mainly use it for bottom time, depth, and planning. It has an ascent rate alarm which goes off if I am surfacing faster than 30 ft. per min. Unless you are doing some technical work or something pretty sophisticated I don't see the need to run out and spend more than that on a computer. If you are wondering, it is an ORCA Pilot, I know IST makes an equivalent, but don't know what it is. MY suggestion would be to ask for a computer for christmas, get yourself the light, and enjoy your trip.

I'll add my two cents...

You don't need a powerful light for the Red Sea. I use my UK SL6 as a primary light for night dives over there. It is great for picking out colour at greater depths too. The SL4 fits in a BC pocket a little better. You can get a nice torch for around £30. If you do decide to get a big torch later on then the smaller torch will be a great back-up so it will still be useful.

A computer is useful, though not essential. If you get a cheap one you might find yourself wanting to upgrade in the near future. I have a Stinger which should last me a while. It does nitrox for rec diving and has a gauge mode too. Being able to download profiles is a nice feature.

You might be better off with an Uwatec dive timer for now. For around £60 you get depth, max depth, temp, time and ascent rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom