Land Scenery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gone_swimming

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Every time I have traveled to Coz I have pretty much dove and stuck to centro. This trip I would like to take one day to get around the island and do some photography. Can anyone recommend some good scenic spots?

Thanks!

If you're crazy enough, last summer we were up at 5:00am to drive to the east side of the island to take pictures of the sun rising. At that time, no one is around, but it is early! There's a cenote park next to the Department of Ecology office that is open during the day. You can walk around and take pictures of the turtles.

We hired a cab driver for the afternoon and he took us all around the island and there were a lot of great views!! The crocodile flats/tower, the lighthouse, about 100 different places on the east coast and even at San Geraviso, there were some great photo ops!

Thanks! I think I may do the cab "tour" as well. Also the east coast sunrise would be a bit more manageable in the winter and especially now that Coz is moving to the eastern time zone. Someday I want to do a sunrise picture on the eastern tip of Isla Mujeres. Most eastern place in Mexico and great view of the waves hitting the rocks.

Punta Sur has some nice views. That is where you can usually see the crocs, climb the lighthouse and walk beautiful beaches.

Another vote for a cab tour. Perhaps, depending on how well you know the folks at your dive op, they could recommend a good driver/tour guide.

When we stopped for lunch we asked the guy if he wanted some food - he asked us for a couple of tacos to go, and it seemed to mean a lot to him. These guys work pretty hard (they don't make the taxi mafia money themselves), and it was really great to get to know the guy a little. The front desk at the Blue Angel flagged a guy down, made sure he spoke passable english (way better than my Spanish), and negotiated a price. It was really fun.

Another vote for the taxi tour.
Here is a link to one of our beach pub crawls posted by myself:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html

This was from the Rasta Bar. Circular polarizer really brought out the blues in the image. If you look at the bulb in the glass you can see a reverse image of the scene. Premium Margarita on the rocks. I can almost taste it....Mmmm... Premium Margarita on rocks.

Edit: Don't forget to set the price for the tour with the van/taxi before you start your tour. It would be a real bummer to have a major argument about price at the end of your wonderful day. We also supply water/coke and food to the driver. They will be as thirsty and hungry as you are. Have Fun! Great way to spend the day.

Last edited:
Why pay a taxi when you can rent a VW convertable from ISIS Rentadora Isis Rent A Car for $35 per day(insurance included). Driving around Cozumel is safe and fun. We have rented from them every time we go to Coz. Margarita is a wonderful lady and will go out of the way to help you.

Our favorite (not sure what it is called) road that goes by the beach bars Money Bar, Playa Corona (our Favorite- good snorkle) and the Fiesta Americana. That is a road has great views and safe secluded stops. You also need to see the Wild (east) side.

Why pay a taxi when you can rent a VW convertable from ISIS Rentadora Isis Rent A Car for $35 per day(insurance included). Driving around Cozumel is safe and fun. We have rented from them every time we go to Coz. Margarita is a wonderful lady and will go out of the way to help you.

Our favorite (not sure what it is called) road that goes by the beach bars Money Bar, Playa Corona (our Favorite- good snorkle) and the Fiesta Americana. That is a road has great views and safe secluded stops. You also need to see the Wild (east) side.

We used to rent a vehicle to go around the island, but I got really tired of having to be the Designated Driver. It doesn't cost our group much more to hire a taxi van for the day (there are usually 5-8 of us) than it would to rent a van. I don't have to sit behind the wheel separated from the party in the back and I am free to indulge in adult beverages at Mescalito's, Punta Morena, Chen Rio, Coconuts, Playa Bonita, Rasta's... heck, that's a six pack right there and a DWI in Mexico is something to be avoided at all cost. The drivers we have hired have all been really nice guys, and they take us where we want to go and wait for us with no pressure to hurry. DSFDF, but I much prefer to leave the driving to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom