Land Scenery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a photo/art book available at the Coffee Bean (at least used to be called Coffee Bean) that is a photo essay named "Cozumel above the Sea…A photographic essay that most tourists never see". I don't know how much it costs as it was a gift to me, but it is amazing, and even has an index to where the shots were taken. by whom and the subject. For anyone that loves Cozumel, this is a must have, and might guide you to the promised land!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Gotta agree with ggun on the taxi tour vs. car rental issue - if I'm going on a Beach Bar tour of the Island - and I love afternoons at the Rasta Bar, or Mezcalito's, or the great view from Coconuts - then I'd much rather pay a designated driver than worry about my own (or a fellow traveler's) alcohol intake.

For above-the-ocean photography, I second the suggestion of San Gervasio. I thought there were a lot of interesting shots - things like a close-up corner of a ruin with jungle in the background. The jungle setting is so much different than the beaches on the east side (which would also be GREAT photography).

P.S. - If you go to San Gervasio, bring bug spray!

There is a photo/art book available at the Coffee Bean (at least used to be called Coffee Bean) that is a photo essay named "Cozumel above the Sea…A photographic essay that most tourists never see". I don't know how much it costs as it was a gift to me, but it is amazing, and even has an index to where the shots were taken. by whom and the subject. For anyone that loves Cozumel, this is a must have, and might guide you to the promised land!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

I ordered from Amazon for about $25 + shipping and it just arrived this evening. I've barely had time to leaf through it but it does have some amazing nature photography. Almost good enough to inspire me to skip diving on this trip but no way that is going to happen! Greatly looking forward to diving with Aldora on Sunday.

I appreciate what Ggun is saying, still like my own transportation though. I don't drink to get blotto. When it's just the 2 of us, the VW makes sense. To each his own.
Suit yourself, but you don't need to be "blotto" to get in trouble with the local police if something happens. Even if it's not your fault, if you've been drinking at all, you have a problem.

We always rent a car when we are there and spend a lot of top side time exploring the island and town. I'm not much of a drinker, so DUI is not an issue for us.

There are MANY great photo ops all over the island. The "wild side" is quite scenic, from Punta Sur to Mescalito's there are many great shots to be had.

If you are into architecture, like me (I'm a professional architectural photographer), Corpus Christi church is beautiful, the historic church downtown has a cross form the 17th century in it, among other churches and cool houses around town. The island's 100 year old 'original' town of Cedral, 1/2 way down the island, has some good photo ops, especially in the spring when the Cedral Festival is going on..

San Gervasio ruins can be pretty cool in the right light, it's worth going to regardless, but then again, I'm a bit of a Mayanist.

The big marina in the Northern hotel zone is quite scenic & I've got several nice shots up there. Especially near sunset. ... Oh! and then there's the sunsets! :D

There are a lot of interesting plants & flowers you don't see at home, if your into the macro.

Wildlife is abundant. The golf course is a World Audubon Site & we've seen crocs in the water hazard, koatis & wild pigs crossing the course. Raccoons can be found at Punta Norte quite often & there are many interesting birds about.

Even if it's not your fault, [-]if you've been drinking at all[/-], you have a problem.

If you are a gringo, you may have a problem regardless of drinky-poo or no. Call your car rental guy and get someone there to sort your side out. If anyone is going to the hospital, develop a stiff neck and go too. Better than tourist jail while they figure it out.

On the bright side, you won't have a crash lawsuit hanging around for years!

The east side I guess it is has some nice scenery with the beaches. There are also a Mayan ruins or two on the island to visit, nothing like the main land but some nice shots.

Back
Top Bottom