Lanier WBP 7/9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m7scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got certified in March (Key Largo), but have not been diving since. Mainly due to not having some equipment I wanted to not rent. I finally got a regulator (Father's Day present). I'm so ready to get back in the water. Is anyone planning on being out at WBP on Saturday that I could join up with?

This will be my first dive in fresh water and the first dive in my new 7mil FJ (unless a 3mil would work well enough above the termocline). My first goal is to just get wet again, but then I want to find out what kind of weight I will need with my new equipment in fresh water. My next goal is to work on buoyancy control.

Here's the equipment that I'll be using:
- Triple-L Orion BC (size med, so I'm adding 8-10lbs to the back)
- 7mil FJ/6mil full hood/2mil gloves/6mil boots
or 3mil full/3 mil sleeveless vest/boots/beanie
- Force Pro fins (hey, my instructor used them...)
- Sea Elite Tek X Reg, octo, SPG
- mask
- Suunto Mosquito / Timex Helix DM
I plan on renting:
- AL80 (from LDS in Athens would be $10, would it be cheaper up there?)

I don't have a knife or light yet. Will that be a problem? Am I forgetting anything else?

Thanks,
Brian

You should be fine with the 3 mil full as long as you stay above the thermocline. Last Saturday the temps were about 78 above and dropped to 66 at 35 feet. The area I was diving actually had a thermocline right around 25'. Since you area dealing with several new items - fresh water, low viz, possibly colder temps, and new equipment - I would recommend staying shallow to get comfortable with all the above. Also make sure you have a dive flag/float.

Unfortunately I will not be able to dive this weekend, but maybe some of the other regulars will respond.

Allen,
Thanks for the reply. I'll need to get a marker since I don't have one yet. I guess I waited until too late to post the initial message. I'll probably try again in a couple of weeks since my daughter is not feeling well tonight.
Brian

m7scuba,

There are several of us here in the metro Atlanta area who dive Lanier quite regularly. We're a loose knit group who refer to ourselves as the "Lake Lanier Looney Birds" because we dive the lake in the depths of winter . . . . did you say "COLD", oh yeah, baby . . . anyone can dive warm !!!!

Just give us a shout in the Deep Dixie Divers forum and we'll be glad to join up with ya.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom