Lankayan Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking at going to Lankayan Island late September / early October. I searched this board and the internet for Lankayan and didn't find much info. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand (or second hand for that matter) knowledge of the place? Am especially interested in the visibility when you were there and also how does it compare to Sipadan or Sangalaki.

Thanks for the help.
Rickg

rickg once bubbled...
We are looking at going to Lankayan Island late September / early October. I searched this board and the internet for Lankayan and didn't find much info. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand (or second hand for that matter) knowledge of the place? Am especially interested in the visibility when you were there and also how does it compare to Sipadan or Sangalaki.

Thanks for the help.
Rickg

I thought I would try this one more time since I didn't get any response the first time around.

Is there anyone out there that has visited or has any info on Lankayan Island.

Thanks for the help.

Rickg

Peter,

Thanks so much for your response. You win a Gold Star for being the first person to have anything to say about Lankayan :) We are looking for somewhere to relax, with good coral and with a wide variety of things to see (small or large), and without many other divers. Sounds like sounds like this might be the place.

Thanks again,
Rickg

Rickg,

I havent got the chance to dive there yet either but I believe the dive centre on the resort is owned by Pulau Sipadan Resort. You can do a search for their website. Anyway, the divingv at Lankayan is suppose to be a lot better than Sipadan in terms of tranquility. Sipadan can be rather crowded nowadays with as many as 80 dives on the island at one time. You will not see that at Lankayan. The usual package for Lankayan will include a stay at Sepilok where the orang utans rehad centre is. Apart from that, Lankayan is better known for macro stuffs and if you are looking for that, I think you will find few better places. Hope that helps. When I finally dive there, maybe I have more to add. Juist cant find enough buddies for that. :(

Jason

Thanks for the info. You are correct about them being connected Pulau Sipadan Resort. We first saw some info about Lankayan while killing time at Tawau airport last year on our way home from Sangalaki. Unfortunately there wasn't anybody manning the their airport kiost that day. If we decide to go to Lankayan I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Thanks again.
Rickg

Back
Top Bottom