Lanyards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huntster

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

As my investment in UW video equipment isn't small, it's important to me to have my gear teathered to me. I'm curious to find out what make and model lanyards/teathers everybody uses for their camera rigs.

Thanks,
Huntster

Don't even know how to describe it properly.

Black cord tied in a continous loop. One end of the loop passes through the hole at the bottom of the right handle and back through itself. The other end of the loop is covered by a rubber tube, hiding the knot in the cord. A simple spring loaded "thingy" enables the rubber tube end to open up and slip over the wrist, then slides up to hold it on the wrist. If a Great White" ever chomps on my video camera, it'll have to take my hand too...

Seriously though, this thing is simple and effective. And cheap. If it looks frayed or the rubber tube starts to go, buy a new one.

Regards
Peter

Guys,

Thanks for responding.

Bill, did you make your lanyard ? Do you have problems with it floating into the frame ? Do you clip it to your BC ?

Steve, I've seen the Cetaceacorp lanyards around and notice that you use one with plastic clips. Any concerns about them failing ? Do you actually use the clips that make it shorter.

Peter, I understand exactly the wrist lanyard you've described. Do you ever have any desire to set your videocamera down and back away so the critters will come out ?

Hunt

huntster:
Steve, I've seen the Cetaceacorp lanyards around and notice that you use one with plastic clips. Any concerns about them failing ? Do you actually use the clips that make it shorter.
Hunt,

Actually I use this one. (grabbed the wrong picture) Attached to the ring end is a brass spring clip. Makes it easy to remove to hand up to someone on the boat. The plastic clip is fairly substantial, like the clips on your BC, so I never even considered the possibility of it failing. It doesn't clatter as much against my housing as a metal one. I trust it enough that I will get out of the water in some situations with it clipped off and dangling - it holds the weight of the camera, housing and 3-4lbs. of ballast wt.

I start with it clipped together with the housing clipped to a D-ring on my chest. If I'm wading in off the beach it keeps the housing high/dry till I get into waist-high water. Then I unclip it to film, pulling against it slightly seems to help overall steadiness.

I used to have a similar lanyard with locking carabinier's on each end - the ones where you clip them off and then turn the knurled ring to keep the bar from moving - which was really secure - but a lot more difficult to remove in the water - sometimes my buddy films so we hand off the housing. And my housing is pretty near neutrally buoyant u/w so it's hard to lose.

Works for me...

Hunt,

I have on occasion put the camera down and left it recording. The results were not great as the action always seemed to happen partly out of frame. Maybe if I had a set of legs I could position it better.

But the wrist lanyard is not difficult to remove. Just loosen the clip a bit and slip if off the wrist.

At the end of the dive, as I am approaching the ladder, I will loosen the lanyard so I can easily slip it off and pass it up to the crew.

Regards
Peter

Mark Goodchild:
I find that this magnetic lanyard is quite good for heavy equipment. When you are not using it you can easily attach it back together and the magnets are very strong!

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/magnaclip.htm

Hope this is interesting for someone!

ummmmm..... i don't think i would want such powerful magnets near MY video footage.

huntster:
Guys,

Thanks for responding.

Bill, did you make your lanyard ? Do you have problems with it floating into the frame ? Do you clip it to your BC ?

Peter, I understand exactly the wrist lanyard you've described. Do you ever have any desire to set your videocamera down and back away so the critters will come out ?

Hunt
The lanyard I use is dacron, which sinks slowly. It's been easy to use but sometimes if in current I will tie a simple knot and add a caribeaner to the knot. This keeps slight weight on the belly of the lanyard. Another thing I do is to tuck the rest of the cord inside the BCD straps.
I really don't trust "Zingers" at all. Some of the retractors are easily fouled and the line inside are very thin. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom