Attaching a torch/flashlight to your BCD so you can use it but not drop it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive my SP Stab Jacket, I use the bolt snap attached to my dive light to hang the dive light from a brass ring back near the bottom of the SSJ's backpack. When I begin using the dive light, I unhook the bolt snap and move my dive light up front where I pass my SSJ's chest strap through my dive light's lanyard. If I need to let go of the dive light, I just let it dangle. If I need to extend the dive light away from me, I release it from the SSJ's chest strap and put the lanyard around my wrist. Easy.

When I dive my BP/W (with Hogarthian harness), I use the bolt snap attached to my dive light to attach it to a D-ring on my shoulder strap (where tech divers usually put their back-up light). When I begin using the dive light, I unhook the bolt snap from the D-ring, and put the dive light's lanyard around my wrist. If I need to release the dive light, I make sure to hook its bolt snap back on the D-ring right before I remove the lanyard from my wrist. Easy.

rx7diver

I don't like having too many dangly bits, so I bolt snap my secondary light to my BCD and use a wide rubber band to keep it next to my BCD. I think the rubber band cost $1 at DGX. If I use my secondary light, I usually bolt snap it on a D ring and don't worry about putting it back in the rubber band. My primary light is pretty big and will go in a pocket, but unless I am going someplace like Ginnie Springs, I won't take my primary light.

Attachments

• tempImageXWG8RA.png
    tempImageXWG8RA.png
    487.4 KB · Views: 31
I don't like having too many dangly bits, so I bolt snap my secondary light to my BCD and use a wide rubber band to keep it next to my BCD. I think the rubber band cost $1 at DGX. If I use my secondary light, I usually bolt snap it on a D ring and don't worry about putting it back in the rubber band. My primary light is pretty big and will go in a pocket, but unless I am going someplace like Ginnie Springs, I won't take my primary light.
When you use your secondary light, do you worry about dropping it when you unclip it? Or do you just keep it attached to your BCD? That is what I'm looking for ideas to mitigate?

When you use your secondary light, do you worry about dropping it when you unclip it? Or do you just keep it attached to your BCD? That is what I'm looking for ideas to mitigate?
I take it off the BCD when in use. I haven't dropped it, but there are very few places I would use it that I couldn't go and pick it up. If you are worried about dropping your light get one in an easy to find color.

If I am somewhere where I need a light, I will have my primary light and be using that. My primary has a wrist strap and is bigger.

Turn it on before you unclip it. Don't drop it. Those are my answers, if you are really worried about it, I kinda like the idea of a dedicated elastic on your wrist. That seems like a really good accommodation to me.

I wear a loop of bungee around my wrist. It happens to be the same bungee loop I pass through the holes in my fins so I can bolt snap them onto my harness when walking to and boarding a boat to keep my hands completely free. When I get on the boat and grab a seat and fresh tank, I remove the bungee from my fins and slip it over my wrist, and that way anything I'm deploying from my pocket or shoulder d-ring that I might want to drop gets clipped to the bungee on my wrist and the double ender that was holding the loop to my fins gets snapped in a pocket as a spare.

That seems too thick for a boltsnap? Pics please...
It’s a soft yet sturdy elastic rubber and folds into the Boltsnap with a hooking movement. It was part of a gel filters kit I had lying around but I think it’s easy to find cheap alternative flat rubber bands that are very thick and sturdy but not very elastic (or the hairband above). (I got a whole pouch from Amazon). Pics tomorrow it’s 4 am for me and this is not helping my insomnia … 😀

The one plus point to the filter kit rubber is that it appears to be part silicone and gently soft …

It’s a soft yet sturdy elastic rubber and folds into the Boltsnap with a hooking movement. It was part of a gel filters kit I had lying around but I think it’s easy to find cheap alternative flat rubber bands that are very thick and sturdy but not very elastic (or the hairband above). (I got a whole pouch from Amazon). Pics tomorrow it’s 4 am for me and this is not helping my insomnia … 😀
RCB probably causing insomnia :wink:

The solution to your anxiety is to first switch on the torch as posted above, unhook the Boltsnap from the D-Ring and hook it into the wrist band, and only then start pointing it wherever … and don’t try it when you are distracted.

I think you are worrying a tad too much…

... I think it’s easy to find cheap alternative flat rubber bands that are very thick and sturdy but not very elastic ...
More than 20 years ago I walked into our local Harley-Davidson shop and asked for a discarded inner tube. I trim "rubber bands" off of this old inner tube as I need them. The rubber is extremely tough. The diameter of these "rubber bands" is a bit large, though, and I have to double them over when I use them on my harness (for my dive light, etc.).

I store what remains of this inner tube in a large ZipLoc bag in a cardboard box in my "scuba room", away from heat. I'll bequeath what remains of it to my children.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom