Attaching a torch/flashlight to your BCD so you can use it but not drop it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scratch_Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry for this probably basic and obvious question... I have done research on how to attach your light/torch to your BCD and I know I can attach it to a bolt snap and clip it to a D-Ring on your BCD (and then use bungee/inner tube to secure it to a strap if you have the space). I also know I can just use the lanyard the light came with, and have it dangle around my wrist (which is what I've done before).

What I'm not clear on is how you make sure the light is attached to you so that it is free for you to use when you need it, while still staying attached to your wrist or BCD so you don't lose it in case you drop it.

Do you all who attach them to bolt snaps and clip them off to your BCD just hold them when you use them and are just careful not to drop it? Or do you do have some extra cable so it can stay attached to you in case you drop it?

So I'm not asking how to attach it to your equipment. I'm asking if, when you use a torch, you just hold it and are careful not to drop it or if you have enough line so that, if you do drop it, you don't lose it.

I guess I could get a retractor? But I would rather not use one of those if I can help it. But, I guess, if it works, it's not out of the question.

Finally, I don't have any pockets to keep a light in on my setup! So it has to clip to my BCD or, I guess, be secured to my writs.

Thank you.

Get a retractor, especially if you are talking about a smallish light. Some things that would have used a couple C-cell batteries. I keep one like that in a BC pocket with the retractor clipped to a d-ring inside the pocket.

I have boltsnaps on my lights; if I'm not using it, it's on a D-ring. If I'm using it (for more than just a quick peek somewhere, in which case I might not even take it off the D-ring), I clip the boltsnap onto the bungee for my computer, on my right wrist. That way, I can let it go if I need that hand for something and it'll be right there.

I just attach a bungee loop and a boltsnap.

Unclip and loop over your wrist. When done, clip onto a ring.

IMG_5147.jpeg

^^Same as above except that instead of attaching to a bungee of the DC I always wear a loose fitting flat rubber band around my left wrist and the Boltsnap clips into it. The band is actually something I got from Lee filters to attach color gel strips onto a camera flash.

IMG_7974.jpeg

^^Same as above except that instead of attaching to a bungee of the DC I always wear a loose fitting flat rubber band around my left wrist and the Boltsnap clips into it. The band is actually something I got from Lee filters to attach color gel strips onto a camera flash.

View attachment 836849
That seems too thick for a boltsnap? Pics please...

So you have it dangling from your wrist while you dive? Similar to having the torch lanyard around your wrist, I guess? But with the bolt snap it's easier to remove and attach than a cable around your wrist.

FYI - I use hog rings to tie up the bungees. I guess you could use zipties, but I hate the sharp tips and they can be annoying on your wrist.

I just attach a bungee loop and a boltsnap.

Unclip and loop over your wrist. When done, clip onto a ring.

View attachment 836848
I just use the bolt snap. I thought about a loop, but that is an entanglement hazard hanging off your chest. I have unclipped a light and set it down and swam away - never to be seen again. So I think there are trade offs with whatever you do. If you are night diving, or diving in dark water where the light is used all the time, then a wrist bungi would seem to make a lot more sense. I generally use the light to peak into a hole for 20 seconds, once or twice a dive, so I don't want it hanging off my wrist all the time.

Back
Top Bottom