Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Medical Questionnaire you will be asked to fill out when you start your training (As part of the release form) asks if you currently suffer from have ever suffered from certain health conditions. There is no question specific to being overweight.
It does, however, ask about potentially dangerous conditions that are related to being overweight (such as heart conditions and diabetes).

Here is the PADI form:
http://www.sunsethouse.com/images/pdf/form_medical.pdf

A dive medic colleague of mine dealt with several cases of DCS brought on by exhaustion in overweight and obese divers (simple actions that normally healthy and fit people can do with no problems such as climbing boat ladders and climbing into a RIB).

While we know that diving is not a high intensity sport, we have to be aware of our limits and abilities. If you are concerned with any potential impairment, ask the dive operation about what is available and what is expected of the diver (such as long walks, water entry/exit procedures).

Gee, hate to throw a wet blanket on this thread, but Jax...I didn't get his age, says he's "5'11 between 260 and 275." That ht and wt gives a BMI of 36. 30 being the level of obese. Two things come to mind....

1) DAN says that obesity can increase the chances of DCS (specifically the bends). This can be avoided for the most part by diving conservatively, but the fact is the more tissue you have, the more nitrogen you absorb.

2) Most certifying agencies require at least the minimal ability to both tread water for a period of time and swim a number of laps in the pool without the assistance of fins or flotation devices.

While it is true that adaptive techniques have allowed differently-abled divers to enjoy the sport, there is still a certain level of cardio-vascular health needed for diving. You may also be required to carry tanks over a distance for a shore dive or be able to swim to or from a dive site from a boat. Are you doing a triathlon? No, but only you can decide if diving is right for you.

You may want to find a local dive shop (LDS) and speak with an instructor about your concerns. You can also call or write the Diver Alert Network (DAN) about the correlation between obesity and decompression sickness.

Good luck!

I'm one of those "fat by choice" people....

Obesity is always caused by lifestyle choices. There may be other medical factors that affect metabolic rate, but a slow metabolic rate doesn't cause obesity. Over eating is what causes obesity.

It is over eating that is at the heart of all obesity.

Obesity is always caused by lifestyle choices. There may be other medical factors that affect metabolic rate, but a slow metabolic rate doesn't cause obesity. Over eating is what causes obesity.

In many (probably most) cases this is correct. But there are medical conditions which can cause it also. There are some people who eat healthy and are active, yet are still overweight, under a doctor's care and still do not loose weight. Weight gain is a side effect of many medications too.

:):D I am loving this thread. I'm a new diver and I am in the process of removing weight. It's a comfort issue for me. I will never let my weight keep me from diving. It's exercise and stress relief. Those 2 things alone might help me shed some of my excess "table muscle". Thanks for all of the posts.

In many (probably most) cases this is correct. But there are medical conditions which can cause it also. There are some people who eat healthy and are active, yet are still overweight, under a doctor's care and still do not loose weight. Weight gain is a side effect of many medications too.
You can be active and eat healthily and not lose weight, but you can't be active, eat properly and gain weight to the point of obesity. When you say "eat healthy" it means eat only enough to fulfill your body's caloric needs. To lose weight you'd have to consume less calories than your body burns.

As for "probably most" [obesity is caused by lifestyle choices], how about definitely 99% or more. Unless you can explain to me why obesity was a rare thing a few generations ago and has suddenly become the norm.

Last edited:
I don't know about all of the medical reasons but, I would like to think that I would make a good raft for all of those skinny folks if things get bad. I am a big guy and I know that my wet suit makes my a$$ look big. Man, all I can tell you it to dive on. If you need any help finding plus size BC's PM me and I can lead you in the right direction. Skinny people suck...... the same amount of air I do.

A final word: Very, VERY few people look as good in full scuba gear as the models in the adds do. And most divers are the type of people who are out to have fun, not "look good", and could care less how other divers look.

So go have fun!

Best wishes.

Even the models don't look that good. They airbrush, use multiple exposures (thousands of rejects for each photo you actually see) , etc. Even the water is usually glycerin so it'll stay in place during the 8+ hour photo shoot.

I was more comfortable diving when I weighed 20 pounds more - I lost enough bioprene that I'm a lot colder in the water now. Those guys with 5% body fat probably have trouble diving.

I would posit that it is under-exercising. I weighed 250 pounds 12 years ago. Today I'm at 165, and I've kept the last 20 pounds off for about a year. I lost the weight by biking to school & work.

Back
Top Bottom