Large Scale Turbulence Down-Stream of Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today I was solo diving in around 180 ft on a large steel ship wreck located on uniform flat bottom. The wreck is sitting perpendicular to the prevailing current. Today the current was running around 3 kts (my best estimate). I was dropped about 600 feet upcurrent of the wreck and I swim downward as fast as I can and drift into the wreck.

I was carrying a reel with 500 feet of line and three floats. I hooked the reel off immediately upon reaching the wreck. Obviously I was pinned down by the current and could only move around inside the wreck.

The top of the wreck is around 160 feet deep. After the dive, I slowly ascended from 160 to around 100 feet depth in a time of probably 4 minutes. I had planned to do a deep stop at around 100 feet. Typically I do my ascents without kicking much and carefully ride my buoyant BC on ascent. Since I was wearing a very thin suit (1.5 mm) and a large steel tank, I need no lead and since I have very little suit to compress, I do not have to add or dump a lot of air from the BC during the dive. The ascent from 160 to 100 was normal, just flying through the water watching the fish fly by.

Anyway, when I got to 100 foot depth, I was a LONG way from the wreck. Soon after reaching that depth, I was caught in a pretty strong down current. My bubbles were going DOWN (even large quarter size bubbles). I was solo and it was a little disorienting since at this depth I could not see the bottom or the surface, even though the visibility was around 70 feet. I watched the computer and realized that even though I had not vented any air from the BC, I was starting to descend (along with my bubbles). I could see large sheets of bubbles, forming linear shapes moving downward 20 feet away from me and all around me too.

Initially, I tried to power out of the situation and began kicking upward, but it didn’t seem to be changing my depth at all. I then decided (with a 30 min deco stop ahead of me) that I didn’t want to exert myself. I inflated my BC a bunch, slowed my kicking and just watched the computer. Within maybe 30 seconds I was again making my way toward the surface and the bubbles stopped moving down and swirling around me. When I reached around 90 feet or so, I dumped all the extra air and resumed a normal uneventful ascent.

The last time I experienced something like this was around 10 years ago and my buddy and I were getting violently banged into each other and it was pretty scary since we had loaded spearguns and I had an explosive tip on my gun. The previous time, it was much more intense, so this time it was not particularly worrisome.

I’ve done this same dive many dozens of times and only had this happen twice.

I was wondering if other people have experienced similar down drafts behind wrecks? I figure it is a large scale turbulent cell that is thrown off the wreck since it has vertical walls that extend around 20 feet off the bottom. Obviously, I am very familiar with turbulent cells being formed inside the walls of the wreck and directly in the lee of the wreck. This is very common and expected.

I would not do a dive like this at night, but if this were to happen at night, it would be very disorienting. Also, I was very happy to have sufficient excess air capacity in my BC to float out of the cell.

Great description. I'd experienced something very similar a time or two in the Florida Keys when the Gulf Stream was fairly strong. A great example of the effect is to look at pictures or diagrams of aircraft wings and the airflow over them. It's a very similar effect. It sounds like you handled it perfectly by thinking, assessing your situation and not panicing! Kudos!

Great description. I'd experienced something very similar a time or two in the Florida Keys when the Gulf Stream was fairly strong. A great example of the effect is to look at pictures or diagrams of aircraft wings and the airflow over them. It's a very similar effect. It sounds like you handled it perfectly by thinking, assessing your situation and not panicing! Kudos!

Bernoulli's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This sounds like the same thing that causes wave clouds to form above/behind mountain ranges could be happening in the waters affected by this wreck. When a wave pattern sets up, there will be multiple layers of circular flows that set up above the object(ship). One side of them produces lift and the other produces sink. You could have been in the downward flow side.

Here is a link that shows a picture of the stacked clouds and explains a little about the principals at work.
Mountain Wave Soaring

I know this is above water, but water flows around objects the same way air does.

Yeah that is how I envisioned it. We often see evidence of turbulence on the surface from wrecks and reefs at depths in the 80 to 130 ft range, but haven't seen them at the surface in water as deep as I was last weekend.

I was just wondering if many other people had experienced the phenomenon.

From your desciption it sounded like you were doing this dive on a single tank ? If so, wow!

I had lotsa air in my main tank and definitely too little in my pony (13 cu-ft) for that dive. Generally if I do not carry a deco bottle, I keep my deco belw 10 minutes (which is what I hope I could stretch from the pony if I tried really hard).

I also had a buddy following the floats in a boat and he is always prepared to throw an 80 tank of oxygen down to me if I come up screaming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom