Large Scuba Knife with Hand Guard (Knuckle be Nice!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahh do what I do...carry 2 katana's and a bunch of shuriken (chinese stars for the lamen....even tho they are from Japan...:/ ) -any big toothies come my way....they will get a bunch of stars on their nose...KIIIAAA!!!! :wink:

ahhh a bc knife will do just fine....like some other posters said before...you will mainly be cutting fishing line or anything like that....and hopefully you will rarely use it let alone on a live creature...some shouldn't carry anyway, they will just cut themselves :/

bdshort:
What do you think you're going to be running into underwater that you'll need a powerhead? Or even the giant knife you were planning on getting? Have you heard of a recent surge in shark attacks on divers?

Dive knives are not intended to be weapons, they're meant as tools for cutting or prying. And I think paramedic shears are way better at cutting than a knife will be...

Simply for safety precaution. Just incase I should ever need it - then it is available.

Seriously, your not going to be killing attacking sharks with a dive knife. Even my huge SeaHawk is no match for a bull shark. Should a shark large enough to be dangerous decide he might like to eat you then he will eat you and your knife. I do know of several divers who have fought sharks, one was reported here a few years ago. Basically, it ain't gonna happen so quit worrying over it, nonetheless, a big knife is usefull, the serrated edge of my SeaHawk is longer than most of the little butter knife types alone, it can saw through cable and when stabbed in the bottom is a great anchor. If your going to carry a knife, carry a knife, not a toy.

N

UaVaj:
Simply for safety precaution. Just incase I should ever need it - then it is available.
As a safety percaution, I don't carry more blade than the job warrants, and I definately don't bring explosive powerheads "just in case". Out of curiosity, do you walk around carrying a shotgun in case a stray dog attacks?

It sounds to me like your precautions are a bigger danger to you than the largely imagined threats you're preparing for.

In my experience, mostly formed while commercial fishing, stab wounds don't kill sharks, they piss them off. I may be missing something, but bloody, pissed off sharks don't make me feel safe. If you're going to try that approach, you may want to consider bringing an underwater rodeo clown with you too... just in case you should ever need it.

Some of you have watched wayy too many hollywood movies.

Most shark attack are mistaken idenity. I want to have available at my disposal a good size sharp edge and/or powerhead. With such device if used properly during an attack. It can speed up the release of me and avoid further damage to me if I am not already dead.

In mistaken idenity attack. Animals don't get pissed off and come back for another cheap shot / revenge. If such animal get hit with a hard blow from knife or powerhead during the attack. They get the message the first time and leave.

Here is the other point of view. Let's say I was looking for trouble - which I am NOT. I go into protected grounds. Such as a mother bear protecting her new born. In such case. The animal will continue to attack until one of us die or I move out of her protected teritory.

UaVaj:
Some of you have watched wayy too many hollywood movies.
I was going to say the same thing to you. As you said, most shark attacks are mistaken identity. What sort of prey exactly do you think a loud, bubbly, neoprene-scented scuba diver with an odd electromagnetic signature might be mistaken for? A mackerel?

Like most - jumping the gun and open their big mouth - flaming me.

If they just take the time to read my signature. I do spear fish. That = bloody fish and bloody fish scent. A big knife and/or powerhead may come in handy.

That's not mistaken identity then... they're after your catch, and they know what it is. Is your plan really to stab a shark rather than give up a fish you caught?
UaVaj:
If they just take the time to read my signature. I do spear fish.
Sorry, I read your profile and thought you were uncertified and had 0-25 dives under your belt. It's hard to know what to believe sometimes, even if you take the time to investigate.

MSilvia:
you may want to consider bringing an underwater rodeo clown with you too... just in case you should ever need it.
:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom