Last day, last dive on Bonaire – unreal aggressive Hawksbill encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses everyone...we are now here in Curacao but I was able to talk to Steven the dive master at BD&A this morning just before our flight.
When I told him the story he actually started laughing and said that we were fortunate that it ended like it did. He said we were even lucky compared to one encounter he had with another ~6 foot turtle. At 110 feet off the East side of Klein he told me that he and Waldo (another DM) had a turtle come out of the blue and went immediately after his camera! He said they could not get it to stop coming after the refraction on the lens and it was a very scary experience for both of them. On his encounter the turtle actually opened its beak to grab it and tried to pull away the camera out of his hands...wow
Evidently the big turtles, especially untagged and not familiar with humans, assume that the reflection in our masks (and refractions of the lenses in cameras) make them very curious and tantalizing objects. Steven's guess as to why the Hawksbill kept coming after my mask was that the turtle thought it was squid.
My mask is actually a black mask with a magenta lens, and my girlfriend’s was a clear skirt with blue outline, and he tried to get at both of them so who knows what on Earth he was thinking. I did a quick google search on Hawksbills behavior with humans and it does say on a BBC website that aggressive behavior towards humans has been previously observed.
When we get back to the States I intend to do quite a bit more research, obviously

On a dive in Jamaica the DM happened to swim over a turtle that was feeding, about 10 feet above it. The turtle was startled and it turned 90 degrees and started coming towards me, I turned on my back and finned frantically away. after what seemed like an eternity it veered off and swam away.

The DM was laughing his head off and I was too shaken to reply. After a while we continued our dive but had to cut it short, it seems I had drained half my tank during the event.

After we had a good laugh on the boat and I had the DM buy me a beer for my troubles.

We had no bad intentions concerning the turtle, we just passed above it, without stopping. I guess it was a defensive reflex.

Very strange. :swordfight: As EnronX point out turtles are generally aloof or avoid encounters. However, it is a reminder that, as divers, we're simply visitors and that that animal behavior ulltimately is unpredictable.

Fuggler, the lionfish was about 45 feet....someone had actually already marked the spot with an orange flag and cork...made finding it easy!

Along that same vein we saw a big guy, 14-16" inches here at Playa Jermei on this morning's dive...he and a big green moray were sharing a large coral head and sure make for a dynamic duo. Our DM actually told us he has killed 4 Lions on one dive before here in Curacao, it seems they are move prevalent here than Bonaire.

What a great story for the bar! Proof to me that animals have different characters and demeanors just like humans.

Strange turtle behavior. You've got a dive story you will never forget. Glad all turned out well for you both.

I spent some time today researching more on the turtle behaviour and it sure seems like a common theme is that our turtle may have actually been looking to mate with us (strange as that sounds) -- His continual circling of us and trying to get on top and behind us gives me that impression.

Here is an interesting video of a Hawksbill coming after a camera:

YouTube - Loggerhead turtle attacks camera

Since it was Bonaire I suspect the turtle was trying to distract you and keep you in the water. Meanwhile, his buddy on land was breaking into your truck. What'd they steal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom