Last Minute Diving Trip And Looking For Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeacockMantis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Just booked a last minute to Florida and looking for some good Dive spots.
I posted a similair question in the snorkelling thread (for snorkelling ;-)

What I found so far is that the best diving is from Jupiter (Is this correct)?
I'm interested in beatiful reefs and/or bigger fish and sharks (but no shark feeding trips). What would you recommend?

I will browse a little better through this forum but any help is welcome

Thanx,

West Palm Beach to dive and then snorkel/dive Blue Heron Bridge.

From Jupiter to the Florida Keys there is some great diving to be had, each area varies a bit.

For reefs, the best reef diving I have ever done is in the area from Jupiter through West Palm/Boynton. Large relief, and lots of large animal life to include sharks, turtles, and dolphins. The downside is this area often has a ton of current from the Gulf Stream, and it's hard to predict how it will affect the local sites. That being said, if you are into drift diving, it's a great time.

BHB is a great shore dive, but tide dependent. Lots of info on that here. Not sure I'd snorkel BHB though.

Further south you'll find Deerfield/Pompano. They have reefs, but not as good. This area is better suited to wreck diving. There's many dozens of wrecks near shore, and many of them are a great dive site, from shallow to very deep technical sites.

There are not many good snorkeling sites until you get to the keys. Most of these sites are a bit too deep for any kind of decent snorkeling. The notable exception being the area immediately adjacent to the Commercial Ave Pier in Fort Lauderdale. The 1st tier reef is about 100 feet off shore, and has great relief and fish life just north and south of the pier.

BHB is a great shore dive, but tide dependent. Lots of info on that here. Not sure I'd snorkel BHB though.
Agreed I'd rather dive it but why not snorkel? The OP specifically asked about snorkeling options as well as diving. Most trips I see almost as many there as divers.

BHB is a great snorkeling spot. Especially if you have non diving members travelling with you. The beach is mostly under the bridge, so nice for not getting sun burned. The swim area is large and shallow with plenty to see. And the snorkel trail was put in a couple years ago, and is big enough for divers and snorkelers. Plus just about anywhere a diver goes, a snorkeler can go too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom