Last-minute Raja Decision: Inon Ufl-165 Or Uwl-100 28ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattia_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm having last-minute packing stress. We fly out to Indonesia on Friday, the gear suitcase is all packed and ready to go (minus wetsuits, which go in last minute). We will be spending a week with Papua Explorers, and (of course) I'm taking my trusty RX100, my new strobe arm and new S-2000.

My 'usual' travel set up has been my pair of UCL-165's for macro, and the light and pretty darn good UFL-165 for fisheye/ultrawide performance. The latter works well, but does have tendency to flare, sometimes quite badly when shot upwards, and I've never managed to do anything remotely resembling a decent over/under with it. I recently got a good deal on a used (but excellent condition) 28AD UWL-100, along with a good condition (rough metal, good glass) dome port for it.

What I'm wondering about is how much better quality that setup will get me? Because it is a LOT heavier, and I've already broken the cheap 10-bar m67/AD adapters with the far lighter (in water) plastic fantastic domed UFL-165 twice now; is the Fix Pro adapter better quality/less fragile? Can't get it in time, but it's worth it for the future. I do have 'safety' lines to prevent loss when mounted, and I have lens caddies, so I'm not too worried off-camera, and some Stix floats I can take along if needed to trim out the rig a little better. I'm 90% a stills guy, so the video performance isn't really a major deciding factor. What might be is the usefulness of the non-dome for any pelagic species we encounter (I'm crossing my fingers for manta rays).

tl;dr:

Which wide-angle to take to Raja, and why?

You can use a UFL-165 with a RX100? Which housing? Does it vignette? I have a UFL-165, but figured it was kind of a dinosaur that I would have to replace to use with any current model camera.

I can, yes. Need to zoom in just a touch but works well with my Acquapazza housing. It flares a bit but it's small and light in the water, which is why I decided to take it on this trip instead of the much heavier uwl 100 and dome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom