late trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to add one additional detail to glimmerel's trip report. (This is her boyfriend.) My certification dive was with scubatony. Blue XT Sea was very busy when we were in Cozumel so I was referred to scubatony for my certification dives. I had one-on-one instruction with Scubatony. I think he charged $175 for two days of diving. Because it was just me, I spent most of the time diving -- no waiting for other divers to complete their skills. My certification dives were in front of Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium -- Villa Blanca Shallows. Papa Hogs has a web page and you can view pictures of the beach on their web page. Villa Blanca Shallows is just north of Paradise Shallows and Paradise Reef. The shore diving from Pardise Shallows or Vila Blanca is excellent. (usually the current runs north but not all of the time.) it isn't very strong but you should swim into the current when starting the dive. If you get in the water with just a snorkel early in the morning you can see Eagle Rays. Someone gave me this advice and they were right. Appartently, the boat traffic scares them off. I went out snorkling at 7:00 am and swam with an eagle ray beneath me for ten minutes - very peaceful. During my two days of certification dives I saw every type of fish found in deeper water except for nurse sharks and turtles. I even saw a bat fish - this is a really interesting fish to watch. It uses its front fins, like human hands, to move things around while looking for food.
Scubatony only takes groups of four or less for certification dives. I highly recommend him. He has a web site and has lived in Cozumel for three years. He's originally from California. He would also be a good resource for non-diving information related to Cozumel. He can be reached at tony@scubatony.com. I found his web page with a google search by typing scubatony cozumel. I know this sounds like Scubatony paid me to write this - but he didn't. I just really appreciated the fact that I didn't waste my dive time waiting for other divers to complete their skills. The rest of my dives were with Blue XT Sea. Blue XT Sea was great. Very flexible and easy to work with. The Dive Masters are great. There is Dive Master Raul (Raul #1.) and Dive Master Raul (Raul #2.). He's called Raul #1 because he's been working for Blue XT Sea longer than Raul #2. These guys are great. So is the boat captain - Mago. You tell them what you want to see while diving and they will take you there. They dive every day so they know where turtles will be, where eagle rays can found, etc. I really enjoyed diving with Raul #1, Raul #2, and Mago. Next time I am in Cozumel, I would like to try spear fishing. Obviously, you cannot spear fish in the marine park, however, the North side and the east side are not part of the marine park.

mcgradyc:
Next time I am in Cozumel, I would like to try spear fishing. Obviously, you cannot spear fish in the marine park, however, the North side and the east side are not part of the marine park.

Just an FYI - the dive sites on the north and east sides of the island are all advanced sites. The north sites have ripping current which angles out to sea, and the east side is usually under fairly heavy swells and pounding surf. IMO, a newly cert'ed diver should not even consider diving off the north or east sides of Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom