Latex Neck Seal Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ostsee Taucher:
Do you fold the neck seal "in" as done with neoprene neck seal? By doing so, internal pressure of the suit press the seal against your neck, so you'll have better sealing.

I disagree...When that has accidently happened in my case, I've ended up with a leak, and subsequent flood in my toes...

Latex seals should be flush against your neck...

Your mileage may vary...

:banana:

Make sure the seal is as low as possible on your neck. I know a few people up here who swear by the Bio Seal ($50 or not) They also cut down on neck rash.

scubasean:
Make sure the seal is flush against your skin, without folding over inward or outward...

Are you suggesting no folding at all?
I thought these neck seals only worked reliably when folded inward to create an air gap seal against your skin.
db

Neoprene seals only work properly when folded.

Latex seals on the other hand need to be tight and flat to the skin with no folding or they'll leak.

I posted earlier today with concerns about latex neck seal leaking. Did two dives today with no leackage. I folded the collar of the underwear under before I donned the drysuit and this enable me to get the seal lower on my neck. I also was more careful with head turning and the like. For me, I think I'm on a DS learning curve. Anyway, I'm happy I had two totally dry dives today. By the way, I should finish my DM course this weekend. Yippee!

cdennyb:
Are you suggesting no folding at all?
I thought these neck seals only worked reliably when folded inward to create an air gap seal against your skin.
db

Yes, I'm suggesting no folding at all. Properly sized latex seals do not need to be folded. If you decided to fold it and fold it unevenly, you might create the leak yourself... :)

Neoprene seals are folded under for extra protection.

I dive using this latex seal method and have no probs...

scubasean:
Yes, I'm suggesting no folding at all. Properly sized latex seals do not need to be folded. If you decided to fold it and fold it unevenly, you might create the leak yourself... :)

Neoprene seals are folded under for extra protection.

I dive using this latex seal method and have no probs...

I'm sorry I didn't specify in my original reply & question but I have a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist/cuff seals. I'm wondering if I should hit a little more air next time and pack another weight?
I'm puzzled because the first dive of the day went ok and only had a 'tiny' wet spot around my tee shirt collar, then the next dive (same stuff under it.) I end up with a bath (slow, but still wet to the legs.). I've been trying to figure out what was different between the two dives and the only thing was the depth of the dive. I had the same tanks/BC/etc. only a shallower dive.
Maybe next time I'll fold a little more down and use a bit more air inflation. thanks for the suggestions.
db

A neoprene seal HAS to be folded and properly without kinks to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom