Latex neck seal stretching over time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Maybe a silly question. Last weekend my wife's latex neck seal on her TLS350 seems much looser than before. Certainly more so than a few months earlier the previous time she dived dry. Do latex seals permanently stretch if they sit for a while? I thought silicone seals are more prone to stretching than latex, which seems to recover more fully. Before I send the suit in for a new neck seal, I want to understand what's happening. The suit is about 3 years old with the original glued in silicone neck seal. And no, her neck diameter hasn't shrunk

Latex fatigues with age, and becomes less elastic. In practice, that means it doesn't snap back to as small a size as it was to begin with.

It's also possible your wife has lost some weight, maybe?

3 years sounds pretty good. My latex neck seals (Zipseals) usually last about 2 years before the became less supple and started to leak. Generally - they would tear shortly thereafter.

Latex fatigues with age, and becomes less elastic. In practice, that means it doesn't snap back to as small a size as it was to begin with.

Lynne - that comment applies to a lot of things, not just latex! :)

It's also possible your wife has lost some weight, maybe?

She's pretty small (about like you from everything you've posted). I'll pass your comment on; it will definitely make her day

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

3 years sounds pretty good. My latex neck seals (Zipseals) usually last about 2 years before the became less supple and started to leak. Generally - they would tear shortly thereafter.
My wife doesn't dive her drysuit that often, maybe 3 to 6 times a year when I can get her to go out locally on a boat or the Catalina dive park. Now I need to figure out whether to go for replacing the glued in latex neck seal, or go for the Gen 2 Zip seal

I have 25 dives on my new Flex Extreme with the G2 neck seal. I could not be happier with it. It feels like a glued on seal unlike the G1 that liked to rub my ears during donning and removal on the old suit. I would recommend the G2 seal for anyone purchasing a new suit or upgrading from a traditional glued on seal.

Latex seals can permanently stretch and also slacken with age.

Typical scenario is that someone buys a new dry suit with latex seals. Decides the neck seal is far too tight, comes on here for advice and is told to trim it. Six months down the line the seal has naturally slackened and is now too loose and leaking and they now have to get a new one fitted.

Don't trim, just stretch the seal over something slightly larger than the owner's neck for 24 hours. It should still be fairly tight (possibly uncomfortable to someone unused to drysuit seals) but it will continue to slacken and after a few dives will be perfect. Don't be afraid to repeat the stretching.

Divers are in the minority when it comes to users of latex seals. The vast majority go into immersion suits that are often worn for much longer periods than divers use them for, aren't owned by the wearer, and require a much lower standard of watertight seal. Then it is entirely reasonable to trim the seals and that's why trimming rings are moulded into the seal.

Unless you have something ludicrously mis-matched like an XS seal on a M neck then don't trim, stretch carefully instead. Your seals will remain watertight and be comfortable for much longer. Also trimmed edges are much more prone to perishing and tears.

Whether a seal needs to be trimmed or not can depend on the design of the seal. DUI cone seals are closed at the ends, and designed to be cut to fit. They can't be used without trimming. However, it is important not to cut a seal to where it is comfortable out of the box. New seals should be tight enough to be annoying on land (but not enough to turn your face purple). They will loosen over time, as the elastic rebound of the latex decreases.

Neoprene seals can be effectively stretched, but latex has a much higher rebound, and stretching a latex seal is unlikely to make a great deal of difference.

Hi Geoff. When you store the drysuit do you store it with the latex seal stretch over anything? If yes this would cause them to be stretched out of shape. Silicone and neoprene are more prone to being stretched with normal use over latex. Latex has the best recovery of the three. I'm thinking the comment about the silicone being glued in is actually latex. Three years on latex seals is awesome. I'm guessing the seal has lots of tiny cracks and is ready to be replaced.

Hope that helps.

If you need something else please let us know. Our Support@DUI-Online.com is ready.

Whether a seal needs to be trimmed or not can depend on the design of the seal. DUI cone seals are closed at the ends, and designed to be cut to fit. They can't be used without trimming. However, it is important not to cut a seal to where it is comfortable out of the box. New seals should be tight enough to be annoying on land (but not enough to turn your face purple). They will loosen over time, as the elastic rebound of the latex decreases.

Neoprene seals can be effectively stretched, but latex has a much higher rebound, and stretching a latex seal is unlikely to make a great deal of difference.

The suit was bought new in 2011, cut to order. The original latex neck seals were cut to size when we first got the suit. It's only on the dives last weekend my wife noticed the neck was a little loose

I thought the wrist seals were the cones, but the neck seals are so much bigger they are open in the middle. It's been a while, so maybe I'm mis-remembering

Hi Geoff. When you store the drysuit do you store it with the latex seal stretch over anything? If yes this would cause them to be stretched out of shape. Silicone and neoprene are more prone to being stretched with normal use over latex. Latex has the best recovery of the three. I'm thinking the comment about the silicone being glued in is actually latex. Three years on latex seals is awesome. I'm guessing the seal has lots of tiny cracks and is ready to be replaced.

Hope that helps.

If you need something else please let us know. Our Support@DUI-Online.com is ready.

Thanks Kathy. The seals are going on 4 years, so I figure it's normal deterioration over time. No, the latex is not being stretched over anything. The suit is stored in the very stylist black nylon DUI drysuit bag. Yes, you are correct, my comment was about glued in latex, not silicone, my bad. Neither of us noticed any tiny cracks, but that doesn't mean there aren't any

Can you think of any reason not to get the Gen 2 neck seal instead of having a new neck seal glued in. I noticed on my suit which had the Gen 1 neck seal installed last year the zip seal flange comes out almost to the inflator valve. Are there any sizing issues installing a Gen 2 neck seal on a small TLS 350?

Also, I noticed my Gen 1 neck seal looks like the Aquaseal (or whatever DUI uses) is coming off. I need to call to figure out what to do

Latex seals can permanently stretch and also slacken with age.

Typical scenario is that someone buys a new dry suit with latex seals. Decides the neck seal is far too tight, comes on here for advice and is told to trim it. Six months down the line the seal has naturally slackened and is now too loose and leaking and they now have to get a new one fitted.

Don't trim, just stretch the seal over something slightly larger than the owner's neck for 24 hours. It should still be fairly tight (possibly uncomfortable to someone unused to drysuit seals) but it will continue to slacken and after a few dives will be perfect. Don't be afraid to repeat the stretching.

Divers are in the minority when it comes to users of latex seals. The vast majority go into immersion suits that are often worn for much longer periods than divers use them for, aren't owned by the wearer, and require a much lower standard of watertight seal. Then it is entirely reasonable to trim the seals and that's why trimming rings are moulded into the seal.

Unless you have something ludicrously mis-matched like an XS seal on a M neck then don't trim, stretch carefully instead. Your seals will remain watertight and be comfortable for much longer. Also trimmed edges are much more prone to perishing and tears.

This is still on the original trim, and is my wife's personal drysuit that nobody else has worn. Based on the comments, it sounds like the latex is getting near end of life

Hi Geoff. I'm checking on a couple of your questions. Just a general comment. Necks change quite a bit as we ah...age. :wink:

If you look at younger divers their necks are full. As we age it's possible to have channels develop. If you look in the mirror and slowly turn your head side to side you might see how your neck changes... and this can create channels for water to seep through. If you notice this experiment moving the seal either up or down.

And I'm sure you've considered this... hair in the seal will cause leakage. Sometimes simple things get forgotten.

OK I'll get back to you. Have a wonderful weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom