Laurel River Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about this lake? Several websites briefly mention scuba diving in Laurel River Lake, but do not go into detail.

Thanks

DavidPT40:
Can anyone tell me anything about this lake? Several websites briefly mention scuba diving in Laurel River Lake, but do not go into detail.

Thanks

There can be some interesting dives in Laurel Lake. A lot depends on where you go. I have mostly been in the area near the spillway and there isn't much there to see although I do enjoy swimming through the tree tops (around 90 ft IIRC) Sometimes it fun to look around for lost fishing tackle and other thing that folks have lost in the water. You may run across road beds and foundations to homes and other small buildings. I also like to look closely for small creatures lurking in little crevices etc, etc. I have had some decent dives in the Craigs Creek area but haven't been there for several years.

Its not unusual to have water temps in the upper 30's and low 40's below 50 or 60 feet.

I've made hundreds of dives over the years at Laurel. Countless night dives @ Craigs Creek boat ramp and camping areas. By the camping area there is a platform for training. You can also see plenty of fish here.

To the left of the boat ramp is a nice cove. Fisherman have sunk plenty of old christmas trees for fish habitat. Believe it or not there is very little if any monofiliment in this area. But I have seen 20 lb. catfish, 7 lb. bass, etc. etc. in this cove at depths from 13 ft. to 35 ft. The deepest part of the cove in the center near the mouth hits about 80 ft. It's a nice shore dive. You can pull your vehicle right up to the shore, unload your equipment then park your vehicle not 100 ft. away in the parking area.

The dam area is really fun to. Rocky with marine life present. The problems are that everything is deep. You have a bouy tied off to the guardrail of the old road at about 80 ft. down. This can be a dangerous area to take open water students. Not to mention walking up and down with all that equipment is a pain the tailend. It's nothing to get the equipment down the hill. But after a day of diving, lugging that stuff up a hill is the last thing I want to do.

Then there is Marsh Branch. This is closer to the Interstate than Craigs and the Dam. I've only dove her a few times. It was similar to Craigs Creek area though. We brought up someone's Jeep Grand Cherokee one afternoon at Marsh Branch of Laurel Lake. $$$$$

Have Fun

Cincybengalsfan19 out..... Sequel to come

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom