Lavacore: Any Real World Experience from Real World-Sized Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTemple

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Lavacore short sleeve shirt or vest (without hood) to wear under a 3mm when diving in Lembeh and Bunaken this May. I chill easily, but do not want to bring my 5mm. Any women out there using either? I'm curious as to the benefits/disadvantages of the short sleeve vs the vest, both in comfort and warmth. Sizing is also an issue. I normally wear xl or xxl or even 1x t-shirts, it all depends on the shirt, and really do not want it to fit too snug. Especially in the armpits. There isn't any place locally wear I can try them on before purchasing, unfortunately. TIA for any/all advice.

Cheers.

Bought a Lavacore suit. The design of the sleeves has a gusset which means it doesn't cut under the armpits. The sizing charts seem to be accurate. I ended up buying a men's size because Lavacore and so many of the other manufacturers seem to assume that women have huge behinds.

My experience although a male is that the sizing is all up the s..t, the cut is also rather strange certainly on the long sleeve top I bought and all the ones i tried on. Thermal properties under my suit were nil. If you check over in Lavacores forum you'll get some more info. I would certainly not buy if you cannot try on first. Based on my experience I wouldn't recommend. Good luck.

Dont buy Lavacore unless you can try it on first. I have and love my lavacore hooded vest but have had to make a couple of snips and adjustments as Lavacore seem to think small = you have the body shape of a 14 year old boy. The cut is the probem with lavacore as buddhasummer has mentioned. I would recommend Lavacore but you do need to try it on - even after trying mine on before I bought it - dive shop sales person telling me its supposed to be that tight so I understand trying on garments dry does make a difference but have done my own snips here and there - underarms and neck especially.

My wife who is 5'10" with a womanly figure says her Lavacore XL hooded vest fits her very well. She wears it under a 3 mm suit when the temp dips into the 75-80F range. In Lembeh she was comfortable without the Lavacore, but I don't recall what time of year that was.

I plan to get one just like hers.

My wife who is 5'10" with a womanly figure says her Lavacore XL hooded vest fits her very well. She wears it under a 3 mm suit when the temp dips into the 75-80F range. In Lembeh she was comfortable without the Lavacore, but I don't recall what time of year that was.

I plan to get one just like hers.

you should probably buy the men's one:wink:

What difference, if any, is there between a lavacore longsleeve and a Bare Chillguard? Anyone?

When purchasing Lavacore, trying it on first is A MUST !!! I'm a guy, 6'1", about 175. I had tried on a couple of different mens pieces that "should have fit" according to their size chart, but they didn't. Or at least not the way I like my stuff to fit. On A whim, I was eyeballing another one hanging in my LDS, and it turned out to be a womens full suit. Well, guess what, I tried it on and the thing fit like a glove and that is the one that I bought and now wear. As far as the product itself goes, IT WORKS !!! I've been wearing under my 7 mil here in SoCal for the winter, and it certainly helps. You feel the cold, but you don't feel cold. It takes the edge/sting off the colder water. The past 2 months, I've been doing some deep/long dives and I've hit 50 degrees and was "comfortable".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom