Layang Layang Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm looking at going to Layang Layang this summer. I did a search of Scuba Board and found quite a few mentions of Layang Lanyang but very little actual comment/description by anyone who has been there.

It would be very helpful if any of you out there have first had knowledge of the island.

BTW, I've been to Sipadan 3X, Sangalaki 1X and Lankayan 1X so I'm not really interested in recommendations to go to any of these locations (not that I wouldn't go back again to all 3 of these places - just not this time).

Thanks for the help.

Rickg

I was there last may and it was rather good. We had Hammerheads everyday, some really big groups and sometimes just loners. also had a sighting of a Marlin. Basically the two best sites are at the two ends of the reef and everyone does these two dives for the first two of the day so can get crowded. We eneded up doing some other sites as well and still got h heads so i think they are all over the place. You swim down the reef and out into the blue as the start of the dive and quite often you have to fight your way out (not literally) past grey reefs and white tips

Basic scheme is three dives a day, first day you do two and last day one to degas before flying back the follwoing morning. You can do night dives but no one does.

Food and accomodation was good and so were the dive guides (say hello to Angel). We had a really good time and planning on going back next year, we were of course there during prime H Head season and reports are mixed about the rest of the year. There was some macro, but if you want pelagics this is a hot spot

Albion, How would you rate Layang Layang as a dive destination if there are no hammerheads and other reefsharks. I certainly am interested in seeing hammerheads but I was told that there is nothing else much there. Is that true?

ssra30:
Albion, How would you rate Layang Layang as a dive destination if there are no hammerheads and other reefsharks. I certainly am interested in seeing hammerheads but I was told that there is nothing else much there. Is that true?

Havent got my log with me, so cant go into all the specifics but will try and sum up.

Lots of reef sharks (think this is a gimme anytime)
Marlin - nice but lucky
Pygmy devil Rays
Barracudas, Jacks, lionfish, scorpionfish, napoleon wrasse and the usual bigger reef fish were all present and in reasonable quanitites. Viz was good 30-40M, not sure if this is seasonal, I would guess so. Macro wasnt world class but there is some stuff to see, harlequin ghost pipes and the like

I had been to Sipadan/ Kapalai a couple of months before going to LL (although conditions for me at sipadan weren't ideal) so in comparing to sipadan i thought it was much better, No big turtles though. Should also bear in mind that the Hammerhead experience really only lasts for a few minutes on the dive anyway, you drop down deep see the H Heads as they pass by then head back to reef and work your way up.

The resort is comfortable and with no night dives planned you can kick back after the third dive and enjoy the pool.

I'm planning on going back again but also planning another try at Sipadan, Borneo beckons again, but at least i have now climbed KK so don't have to do that next year (here's a good tip dont try and climb KK after a weeks diving). The people i went to LL with were on their 7th trip there and still hungry for more!!!

By the way i am not affiliated to LL at all, just enjoyed it

rickg:
Albion,

Thanks for the additional info on Layang Layang. It just keeps getting better.

Rickg

hope i havent built it up too much. Remember to enjoy the flight out to the island, and can recomend staying at the Shangrila beach resort on the way back

Albion,

Actually we have stayed at the Shangri La Tanjung Aru several times while transiting through KK and you are correct - it is a very nice place to stay. Thanks again for your help.

Rickg

David,

Thanks for the link. That is a good article. I appreciate the help. We saw several hammerheads on Sipadan in '94 but didn't see any at all in '00 or '01 when we were there. Sounds like Layang Layang might just be our scuba trip this year.

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom