Layer or Semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mig_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am currently diving in a 5mm wetsuit in 22C waters. As it is getting closer to winter here in Oz I have been thinking of what I am going to do when it becomes too cold to dive in a 5mm. Do I get a vest to layer under my current wetsuit, or do I go out and buy a new 6.5mm semi-dry suit? What have people done in the past?

I've just upgraded to a Mares 6.5mm Isotherm semi-dry and I'm loving it!!:D

I used to wear a farmer john over my full 5mm and a hood but found it quite contricting, especially on longer boat trips (in SA we kit up on the beach). By the time we got out to the dive site I'd perspired away a few kilo's.

Semi-dry is like semi-pregnant. You're either dry, or you're not. There is no SEMI.

I don't care what people say about Semi-dry, sure you can't be semi dry, but semantics aside, the ISO-therm and a couple similar others rock. A friend just did a couple of dives in his into 42F (5C) water. Granted he only survived about 30 minutes and we stayed above 70' (21 meters) but he did it a couple of times.

I have Pinnacle's Extreme Semi-Dry and they just released the Kodiak which is the same as the Extreme just without an attached hood. I find that suit works very well even in cold water. The problem is if you are diving in a cold air environment your still wet when you get out. Under the water those these suits perform well.

After a lot of research into wet/"semi"/and dry suits, I and a lot of people here on the Board, have pulled the switch and gone for the Whites Fusion for a lot of good reasons.
Check it out, and read about it on several other threads on the SB.

If your interested, I know Mike Pederson at Diverightinscuba.com has sent several Fusions to Down Under.

Good luck,
Geoff

I'd go dry over semi dry, lots of people end up doing it in the long run, might as well save money and do it right the first time, IMO.

ive said it a hundred times, Seatec Product Catalogue brian is your wetsuit friend, he makes great suits

i have predator pro semi dry up until June and then im in a drysuit until end of october.. all other months i wear my seatec but hubby wears his seatec all year around

cheers

Semi-dry is like semi-pregnant. You're either dry, or you're not. There is no SEMI.

I have Pinnacle's Extreme Semi-Dry and they just released the Kodiak which is the same as the Extreme just without an attached hood. I find that suit works very well even in cold water. The problem is if you are diving in a cold air environment your still wet when you get out. Under the water those these suits perform well.

These two statements pretty much summed it up...

Still semi-dry suits are very nice... because of ankle and wrist 'seals' and zipper. Generally they also have a better neoprene. One thing to consider when purchasing a semi-dry suit is an extra maintenance item - the zipper. I absolutely despise the farmer john + jacket suits they are from hell! I really enjoy my Tilos 7/5 and Pinnacle Elastiprene 7mm. But this year i am going dry finally.

I'd go dry over semi dry, lots of people end up doing it in the long run, might as well save money and do it right the first time, IMO.

Second that - its what happened to me - sold semi-dry on ebay

Back
Top Bottom