Lbts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 2 blocks south of Commercial Blvd is Datura Avenue and a great access to the beach and reef but there is very limited metered parking. Contact Gold Coast Scuba on Commercial nearby for more info.................see also Fill Express' website for shore diving guidance.

datura ave is your best entry point---my experience is to head south once you hit the reef... bring lots of quarters---if you're lucky enough to get a parking spot.

Datura or Hibiscus -- LOTS and LOTS of quarters... and go early parking is scarce! -- are the meters 24 hr or no? i forget...
supposedly straight out from Datura between the sand and the end of the pier is supposed to be a small wreck as well.

no meters are not 24/7.. Only because parking is not allowed 24/7. I believe you have to be out by pm and can't come back until 5am. parking is gone by 7:30 especially in the summer. I wouldn't exactly call it a wreck.. it's an articial pile of various things recreating a wreck.. a couple canons, and an anchor among other things.. not overly impressive but cool for those not from the area I guess.

The wreck...dubbed the "snorkel trail" is worth seeing once. Concrete cannons and such.

It can help you navigate those last 75 yards or so when you're coming back underwater into the beach from the reef...especially on a night dive

We brought our fifth wheel trailer to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea many years ago. The hassle of broken meters or no parking spaces led us to research the many nice Mom-and-Pop hotels along the shoreline. The on-site free parking and short distance to the beach is definitely worth it. We enjoy Beach Apt Hotel, across the street and less than a block from Datura Avenue.
Outlets are Pine (4600 block), Washingtonia, El Prado, Commercial (with Anglin Pier), Datura, Hibiscus, and Palm (4100 block) No bathrooms, alas, but beach showers and seating are at most outlets.
El Mar Drive is beach side / beach view, Ocean Blvd or AIA is a main coastal road, but easy enough to cross with scuba gear. Commercial Avenue crosses the Intercoastal waterway about six blocks from the ocean.
Morning shore dives are calmer and the water is clearer. The current is usually not a problem, but exits north and south of LBTS are at privately owned hotels, and usually gated.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea hotels
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Florida - Hotel Accommodations

---------- Post added ----------

One more thing... if the shore diving at LBTS is too choppy or murks up, head an hour north on I-95 to Riviera Beach and Blue Heron Bridge. Check the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls ongoing posts for more info.
Tide tables are critical and the boating channel is deadly, so plan your BHB dives carefully. That said, it's a blast out there. So is kayaking to Peanut Island for some snorkling... we saw manatees last time!
One of these days we need to check the night diving with Force-E. Phil Foster Park has lovely restrooms, beach showers, a playground, barbeque grills, lots of parking, on-site security... and no diving after dark unless with a group that has a permit. Force-E sponsors night dives on a monthly basis.

Florida Ocean Coast tide tables
http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/floridaatlanticsites.html

Force E night dive information
http://blog.force-e.com/?p=378

Good luck with your diving!

Gold Coast Scuba - Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida are in FLBTS and have meetup groups you can join on beach dives if you want to be shown around .Contact steve or brian great guys and friendly shop that dives off the beach all the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom