LCBR trip report March 21--28/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unibrook

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Dive Report for Week of 3/21/9 to 3/28/9

I checked one bag that was under the 50 lb limit for both Delta and Cayman Air.
My carry-on bag weighed less than 20 lbs and held my mask, wrist computer, regulator. If your bags weigh more than this, you are taking too much stuff. It is a casual small island, all you need is a t-shirt, shorts and flipflops. I take a small amount of laundry soap to the hotel, and use the wash one/wear one method.

Give yourself a solid 1 hour layover to transfer flights in Grand Cayman. It is a busy disorganized airport. You do not need to wait in the long security screening line if you are just getting on a Cayman Air flight to Little or Brac. Just cut thru/past it to get to the boarding gate area if your flight is leaving within 15 minutes. You have already gone thru customs to enter the country at this time.

I recommend you byo DVDs to play on your hotel room tv dvd player. There was no tv reception, and the DVD rental (USD 4/night) selection at the front desk was limited. Yes, Region 1 USA dvds do play on the machines, according to the front desk.
I recommend picking up a bottle of rum duty free at the airport as you leave USA to save you some bar tab pain. Booze, beer, wine are all available at the local store (10 minute walk from LCBR) but are expensive. Karaoke night is fun at the bar.
Cuban cigars are available at the LCBR bar at a decent price USD12-15 or so each.
Take your drivers license with you cuz riding a bike all over the island is tougher than it sounds. Much easier in a rental car or on a rented scooter (USD 40/day).

Dive shop will lend you a Gekko gratis if you dont have your own dive computer. But have them train you on it. It gets bent easily towards the end of a week of diving. You should do your second dives kinda shallow towards the end of the week.
Jan thru March is the windy season down there. 12-20 knots and 3-8 foot waves daily = rough 30 minute boat rides to the dive sites. Sea sickness patches for you?
Water temps per my Gekko were 77F everyday. 3mm full suit was perfect for me.
Some swimthroughs can be kinda tight, and there are some sea-stingers about, so protect your skin. You will want a fleece pullover to stay warm if it is this windy. Plenty of water and snacks provided on boats. All dive masters are great at Reef Divers (LCBR).

All of the dive sites we went to were small in size and covered easily at a slow pace. No current to speak of. Dive sites we hit: Black Hole, Grundys Garden Sarahs Set, Mixing Bowl, Lea Leas Lookout, Marylynns Cut, Bus Stop, Jacksons Reef & Wall, Great Wall West, Blacktip Blvd. All are good, just depending on what you happen to see that dive. Turtles, stingrays, lobster, reef and nurse sharks, puffer fish, grouper, lionfish, small barracuda, spotted and green morays, squid, damselfish, peacock flounder, big crabs, lots of cleaning stations, were all things seen by the end of the week. Some dives you get lucky and see a lot, on my particular dive at Blacktip Blvd I saw nothing but big barrel sponges. My pics below:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report.

thanks for info

Thanks Unibrook.

We did Cayman Brac Beach Resort a few years ago and the food was superb. How was it at LCBR?

To me the food and the bar were two of the best parts of LCBR besides the staff and great diving of course.

Thanks Tim,

We really liked CBBR, and it'd be great to try LCBR.

At CBBR, we missed the first three days of diving due to heavy seas from a near miss from a hurricane, Michelle I believe.

Anyway, we ate, drank mudslides, napped, ate, read books, ate, drank mudslides, etc. We gained at least five pounds each over the three days!

The bartender was throwing a handful of Oreo cookies into the blender with the mudslide mix. Heavenly!

DS

Hi divesergeant, the food and bar and pool, staff etc at LCBR are all great. no complaints about anything. I recommend LCBR and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Hi divesergeant, the food and bar and pool, staff etc at LCBR are all great. no complaints about anything. I recommend LCBR and I would go back in a heartbeat.

DITTO... and should be there June . I have always said give me great food, great diving, great people to share it with and I am in 'heaven', but if the food is only so so, let the diving be great, but if the diving is so so, then at least let the people be great.... and great food can always turn an otherwise lack luster vacation into a good one....

When we were at the Brac resort, which I think is still owned by the same owner as LCBR, the chef overheard Mrs DS mention on the first day that she wasn't too much into all the meat-oriented dishes. He asked what she liked and she told him she liked pasta type dishes. For the rest of our stay there was always several pasta options for her to choose from. That really left a big impression. Of course, then there were the mudslides!!!!!!!!!!!

DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom