LCD display for DIY video housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i did this some time back and gave the pics and stuff to someone on scuba board. it used a ossibly 4 inch tv with aux input. i modified a cable to go from the 1/8 jack to a rca to conect to the camera. i used some 12 volt batery from a defibulator i think to power it. the tv ran on 9-15v.

ill see if i still have the pics and stuff and send it to you if you want it.

pm with an email to send to

regards[/QUOTE

Can yo senf me your pics aswell please!
cheers

i did this some time back and gave the pics and stuff to someone on scuba board. it used a ossibly 4 inch tv with aux input. i modified a cable to go from the 1/8 jack to a rca to conect to the camera. i used some 12 volt batery from a defibulator i think to power it. the tv ran on 9-15v.

ill see if i still have the pics and stuff and send it to you if you want it.

pm with an email to send to

regards[/QUOTE

Can yo senf me your pics aswell please!
cheers

i havnt found them yet am still looking perhaps i will have to take some more. i think i can have something by end of week.

tbl2 and trimix diver

i have the pics just took some new ones. i will work up the doc with explanations.

send me a pm with wmail addys to send them to. they may come in several emails the pics are 5-8 meg pizel pics.

havnt got the battery to sho but i will try to find one or a link to show you what i used.

looks like it is a 42 meg file so it willhave to be sent as several pics.

any one else who wants it give me an addy so i can send each pic once.

thanks

Last edited:
trimix

send me your email for the pics will be sent in 3 emails of 3-2-and 2 pics

4" is pretty small. I see that they have HD LCD monitors with inputs now for about 80 bucks.
But, with a 4" housing, you are going to have a small monitor. It would be nice if you could hack a monitor from an old video camera. Small and good on batteries.
I have the equinox rear screen system, but I'm not very happy because of the extra batteries and the weight. I have actually used a 9vdc transisitor battery for each dive.
If I was to do it, I would house the monitor, battery in a seperate housing that you can attach with short ball arm. Get a waterproof connector to feed it from your main housing. If you do the build, I'll follow the post! Happy desigining!

Thanks for all of the responses!

Finally found one that fit the bill - it arrived in the mail today. Fits easily inside the housing and resolution looks good - looks about the same as what my old handycam uses. No on/off switch - happy to say - as I plan to be able to turn it on/off while sealed by using a magnetic switch to kill the power to the monitor to save battery life. Female RCA connections for the video and audio (I won't be using that one). Not sure of the power supply connection size, but it is female connector taking a 12V dc power supply - seems a standard size as I had an old AC adaptor that did the trick (looked to be a 5.5mm). The cable for the inputs is wired directly into the unit and is about 19.5" long with the last 4.5" where the cable splits into the individual leads. It is 2.25" tall by 3.25" wide and about .75" thick.

Item was listed as:
new 2.5" TFT Color LCD Car Reverse Monitor DVD VCR VCD
on e-bay by business-sun out of Hong Kong
Price was $27.99 with free shipping

Now if I can get my vacation plans for March figured out, I'll be all set. Until then I'll have to settle for finishing getting the battery supply and cutoff switch in place and then test it in the LDS pool.

I bought a 2.5" monitor from ebay and with a little cutting and soldering of the wires, adding a 9v adapter, plus shortening up the AV wire, removing the audio plug I had a great little monitor for my HV20/6" Equinox housing. Total cost? about $30

Item was listed as:
new 2.5" TFT Color LCD Car Reverse Monitor DVD VCR VCD
on e-bay by business-sun out of Hong Kong
Price was $27.99 with free shipping

Thanks for the details!

If you get a chance, could you report on the brightness and contrast of that monitor in above-water, sunny conditions? Non-direct sun and shaded would be fine.

I have a home-built drop/towed video camera for assessing bottom conditions and I want a smaller monitor. I need to be able to see scallops on the bottom where the ambient light is low, so good contrast helps.... :D

It'll be interesting to hear how good an image your monitor has underwater, too!

Interesting project! Thanks for posting this project! :)

Dave C

I bought a 2.5" monitor from ebay and with a little cutting and soldering of the wires, adding a 9v adapter, plus shortening up the AV wire, removing the audio plug I had a great little monitor for my HV20/6" Equinox housing. Total cost? about $30

Sounds about like the one I got - mine said 12v supply, but was wondering if 9v would be enough. Was looking to use 8 AA batteries - 1.5v for normal alkaline would give the 12v, but my rechargeable show 1.2v so would only put out 9.6v. Am wondering if that would work or not.

Back
Top Bottom