LCHF or Ketogenic Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s actually very simple.
If you want to lose weight and be healthy you can do several things:

1. Exercise.
Do a few sit ups, push ups, stretches,
deep knee bends (squats), and other isometric excercises each day for 15 minutes, that’s not a lot of time. Park at the far side of the lot when you go to the store and walk. Shore dive more and make several trips packing your gear. Do something everyday to break a sweat.

2. Diet.
I don’t mean a temporary “diet”, I mean a permanent way of life eating habit that becomes your normal diet.
Eat meats, good beef, chicken, fish, eggs, other seafood like shrimp, scallops, shellfish, oysters, clams, etc. Avoid or limit processed salty meats like sausage, bacon, or other highly processed meat products.
Eat lots of greens, the full gamut of produce in the store. Try all the oddball stuff you’d never consider, kale, rutabagas, leaks, and other onscure veges, their good!
Eat more fruits, berries, apples, all of it. Don’t over do the super sweet stuff.
Avoid sugary juices and drinks, water is better. Drink a lot of water throughout the day.
Avoid or completely eliminate any processed sugary and starchy stuff like cakes, cookies, donuts, pork buns (chinese), things of that nature.
Completely eliminate raw sugar, it has zero nutritional value and it is your enemy!
You can step it up and eliminate bread, white rice, and white potato products like fries, but out of any of the white starchy things a plain potato is probably the best.

3. Habits.
Do not gorge! Portion size has everything to do with it. Just because you are eating healthier foods doesn’t mean you can’t still get fat! So don’t overdo it!
Even healthy foods can have high calories. If you consume excess calories you can store them as fat.
Reduce your portion sizes and eat 5 to 6 times a day. Figure out what three square meals a day looks like and divide each of those in half. Your body will make much better use out of small meals, and in fact you could even reduce each quantity by a little more and get more benefits because your system will not get overloaded by larger portions, and none of it will go to storage. It’s a much more efficient way of eating.

Drink lots of water.

Do lots of diving in cold water in a wetsuit. Diving wet uses a lot more calories due to your body making sure it’s warm. The more you dive wet the more your body learns to burn calories to stay warm and the more efficient your furnace becomes. After diving wet you’ll be starving because your body will want to replace all those calories you burned. Have control and only eat what you know is the correct amount, not what your stomach wants. If weight loss is your goal, diving in a wetsuit in cold water is about the best way to do it.

Thinking about this thread while I was driving home past a bunch of Asian restaurants brought to mind the fact that much of the world's population lives off what we in the west might consider a high-carb diet. Many Asians eat rice every single day. (I have been told the Japanese word for "to eat" literally means "to eat rice.") Europeans eat bread. My wife's parents in Europe eat a slice of bread with jam for breakfast, and dinner often involves another slice or two of bread and some processed meats. And a glass of wine. Yet they have flat stomachs--they've never been overweight. I don't know what the "secret" is, except that all of it is in portion sizes that Americans would consider almost child-sized portions, and that they are fairly physically active. They have never ever eaten fast food. Most of their vegetables and fruits come from their garden and orchard. They eat LOADS of vegetables. They can/preserve the fruits, ferment the juices, and really just enjoy the "fruits" of their labor of love and the lifestyle of "hobby farmers." Maybe a major component of a healthy lifestyle is enjoying every day and enjoying whatever it is that keeps you physically active? I'm sure diet methodologies like "low carb, high fat" work in theory for those with the discipline, but it seems to me that they are alternatives to the obvious: The age-old way of living, involving the things Eric mentioned above, shunning the cheap calories that the food industry bombards us with, seems to be sufficient for much of the world's population.

Thinking about this thread while I was driving home past a bunch of Asian restaurants brought to mind the fact that much of the world's population lives off what we in the west might consider a high-carb diet. Many Asians eat rice every single day. (I have been told the Japanese word for "to eat" literally means "to eat rice.")

And yet Asians develop diabetes and hypertension at lower weights then their American counterparts and are considered obese at lower BMIs.

And yet Asians develop diabetes and hypertension at lower weights then their American counterparts and are considered obese at lower BMIs.

I'll grant you that salt-heavy Asian diets have their own problems, but obesity? I'm not sure what you mean by "obese at lower BMIs." Pot bellies are rarely seen. Flat stomachs are the norm. Or at least that had been true until recent years when they latched onto fast food. Nowadays, of course, there are plenty of obese east Asians.

I'll grant you that salt-heavy Asian diets have their own problems, but obesity? I'm not sure what you mean by "obese at lower BMIs." Pot bellies are rarely seen. Flat stomachs are the norm. Or at least that had been true until recent years when they latched onto fast food. Nowadays, of course, there are plenty of obese east Asians.
I have unfortunately never been to Asia so can’t speak personally to their bellies :wink: but ...

“Researchers are still teasing out why Asians have higher weight-related disease risks at lower BMIs. One possible explanation is body fat. When compared to white Europeans of the same BMI, Asians have 3 to 5 percent higher total body fat. South Asians, in particular, have especially high levels of body fat and are more prone to developing abdominal obesity, which may account for their very high risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.”

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/ethnic-differences-in-bmi-and-disease-risk/

Asians are different from Caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationship. - PubMed - NCBI

Eat lots of greens, the full gamut of produce in the store. Try all the oddball stuff you’d never consider, kale, rutabagas, leaks, and other onscure veges, their good!

You’re in the minority of those who think kale is good – lol! The rest of your post – spot on!

I don't know what the "secret" is, except that all of it is in portion sizes that Americans would consider almost child-sized portions, and that they are fairly physically active. They have never ever eaten fast food.

I think it’s a combination of portion control and not combining carb+carb+carb… Meaning if you get carbs from a garlic bread or a tortilla, don’t compound it with a margarita, a potato, or fries…

Yes, being physically active helps, but if you over-carb, NO AMOUNT OF EXERCISE will burn off bad eating. Example - I waterskied more in 2017 than I had the previous 2 years combined – and I was the heaviest I’ve ever been – 198. With proper diet and minimal/no exercise, I dropped 15# in 30 days, then I added moderate exercise to my routine and I am down 32# (166#) over the last 100 days... I have not weighed this low in at least 15 years.

Occasionally I indulge in a cookie, a few chips, a couple of French fries – but I don’t overdo it.

Except last week when I bought donuts for the grandkids – then I packed on 3.5#, which I have already lost.

BTW - the others here at work participating in our weight loss quest:

Friend 1: 263 down to 243 in 35 days
Friend 2: 195 down to 185 in 11 days
Friend 3: 205 down to 188 in 115 days
Me: 198 down to 166 in 103 days

Everyone's looking at my results and telling me my success has been their motivation.- love that....

I have unfortunately never been to Asia so can’t speak personally to their bellies :wink: but ...

“Researchers are still teasing out why Asians have higher weight-related disease risks at lower BMIs. One possible explanation is body fat. When compared to white Europeans of the same BMI, Asians have 3 to 5 percent higher total body fat. South Asians, in particular, have especially high levels of body fat and are more prone to developing abdominal obesity, which may account for their very high risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.”

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/ethnic-differences-in-bmi-and-disease-risk/

Asians are different from Caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationship. - PubMed - NCBI

So someone--Asians in particular--can have an unhealthily high percentage of body fat without the outward appearance of being obese. Fascinating.

Given Americans' obsession with appearances, I would wager that given the opportunity, some of us would sell our souls to the devil and accept a higher risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in exchange for looking slim.

By the way, I wasn't thinking of South Asians--Indians, Pakistanis, etc.--but rather just of my casual observations in Japan, China, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. But sadly they all look fatter every time I visit.

I think it’s a combination of portion control and not combining carb+carb+carb… Meaning if you get carbs from a garlic bread or a tortilla, don’t compound it with a margarita, a potato, or fries…

Yes, being physically active helps, but if you over-carb, NO AMOUNT OF EXERCISE will burn off bad eating. Example - I waterskied more in 2017 than I had the previous 2 years combined – and I was the heaviest I’ve ever been – 198. With proper diet and minimal/no exercise, I dropped 15# in 30 days, then I added moderate exercise to my routine and I am down 32# (166#) over the last 100 days... I have not weighed this low in at least 15 years.
. . .

I totally agree. (And now you're sounding less "keto commando" than what I perceived in earlier posts. :))

Another thing that occurred to me is that some (14?) years ago I spent the better part of a year in Central America and Mexico eating things like tortillas, rice, and beans--and not much animal protein. Not much protein and not much beer or any other alcohol because I was on a very tight budget. No fast food, etc. I'd call it real peasant food, and in very modest quantities. I mean like dinner might be two tortillas with a slather of beans and a sprinkle of cheese. But I was active--I walked everywhere, several miles a day I'm sure. I gained no weight and never felt healthier in my life. It cannot be simply that carbs are evil.

I totally agree. (And now you're sounding less "keto commando" than what I perceived in earlier posts. :))

Another thing that occurred to me is that some (14?) years ago I spent the better part of a year in Central America and Mexico eating things like tortillas, rice, and beans--and not much animal protein. Not much protein and not much beer or any other alcohol because I was on a very tight budget. No fast food, etc. I'd call it real peasant food, and in very modest quantities. I mean like dinner might be two tortillas with a slather of beans and a sprinkle of cheese. But I was active--I walked everywhere, several miles a day I'm sure. I gained no weight and never felt healthier in my life. It cannot be simply that carbs are evil.

When I started the diet it was keto commando. And when I peed on the strips, it was full blown. That eventually went down until it was non existent... I am still burning fat off and losing weight but I'm not as fast - infact, I think I've been between 166-169 for 45 days now... I still try to stay under 20g of carbs per day, with moderate workouts 4-5x a week x30-45 min.

My goal was to get to between 165 and 170, my best waterski weight (I compete a few x / year).

I had a rare day off with no commitments or claim on my time so I got to do some cooking and baking for fun. One benefit of this new “ lifestyle” is rediscovering my love for baking. With just Eric and I, I couldn’t really justify too much baking since we didn’t/shouldn’t eat all those cakes/brownies/cookies/breads etc. When I worked at a teaching hospital getting rid of the goodies was no problem but at my current job not so much.

I have had to restock my pantry (highly recommend Thrive Market) and have had mixed results but all the new tries today were keepers.

For readers interested.

For breakfast...

Low Carb Snickerdoodle Muffins Low Carb Snickerdoodle Muffins

614CA7F6-3B29-4BA9-A567-36EA5FBB84C4.jpeg

Lunch. Keto coleslaw and...

How to Make - Mouthwatering Low Carb Texan BBQ Chicken Wings

AD899C45-0F49-40EB-B180-59EF58BA7FC6.jpeg

And with my Rao Spagetti sauce with added hamburger on Spagetti squash and freshly grated parmesan cheese ...

The keto bread - Diet Doctor

96D497A5-CD5D-4C17-8609-32EF3F975067.jpeg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom