LCHF or Ketogenic Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have not watched caloric intake at all. Only carbs... And I added a daily workout to it and lost 30# in 2 months. I don't watch every gram of carb I put in, but I definitely avoid it if too high. I have all but eliminated sweets, potatoes, bread, rice, beans, full carb beers... To my diet I added salad, veggies, cheeses, meats...

I occasionally on a very limited basis take in food thats "white" but its very limited.

Fad diets are unsustainable for life, not to mention not much fun. Counting grams of carbohydrate and other nutrients every day of my life? That would take all the enjoyment out of eating and cooking, which I really enjoy. I eat mainly what I want, but I happen to like vegetables a lot, so a huge volume of what I eat consists of the kind of vegetables that I guess the Atkins crowd calls "low glycemic index" or something like that. I have long suspected that there is a whole lot of overlap between obese people and people who don't REALLY like vegetables. I consider bread, pasta, rice, tortillas, sugary foods, fried foods, etc., to be the equivalent of candy--if I eat them, it's as a special treat, not part of my everyday fare. Grains--some but very much in moderation. It doesn't take a nutritional scientist to have a layperson's understanding that the body is as as happy to convert white bread into something your body stores as unneeded energy reserves as it is a candy bar. I suppose my diet is lower in carbohydrates than the average American's, but it's also lower in fat, and consequently, probably fewer daily calories. So who knows whether it's the total calorie intake or something more mysterious involving this decade's chosen villain, carbohydrates. I don't care, so long as I maintain my weight and overall health. Seems like a common-sense way to live to me, not a "diet," and I am happy to eat as I have been for the rest of my life.
You are absolutely right. Diets don’t work. I regret using that term, especially in the title. A better choice would have been “lifestyle modification” and those DO work.

I too ate a lot of veggies but too many of them were potato and rice based. There were always a lot of salads in my diet. Spinach and cabbage too. And thoses are still there. But the potatos, rice and pastas are gone. Instead its zucchni noodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice...

A friend at work told me about her recent diet experience, approved and covered by her insurance. 800 calorie restriction. Low carb and fat. She lost a lot of weight for the first few weeks then hit a plauteu and a struggle since. She also started losing her hair and had to go on Synthroid because her thyroid started malfunctioning. How can this possibly be a good idea. And yet, this is what our current state of healthcare recommends.

Is a LCHF for everyone. Probably not but I think it should be, at least in a moderate form. Unless you are doing intense restriction there really is no need to count carbs. Common sense will do it.

Think about it. No pastas, grain based breads, potatoes, rice or sugar/sweets. Following this will also eliminate or at least limit fast food. These steps alone will show health benefits for almost any “typical American” diet. No need to go all keto comando.

A better choice would have been “lifestyle modification” and those DO work.

^^Agree with that statement

But the potatos, rice and pastas are gone. Instead its zucchni noodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice...

Yep - me too - gone... And I haven't had fast food since before October 2017.

No pastas, grain based breads, potatoes, rice or sugar/sweets.

^^Exactly - nothing white

And instead of my daily banana, its berries.
Exactly - nothing white
Well except for caulifower. Have you tried Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice? It’s the best “keto” recipe I have tried so far and so easy.

So who knows whether it's the total calorie intake or something more mysterious involving this decade's chosen villain, carbohydrates.
Unscientific in the extreme but as part of my conversation with my friend, when she told me her typical calorie count I was shocked (even with the weight loss she is not a small girl) and pulled up my past week. I had a high of 2100 and lowest of 1200. No where near her less than 1000 average.

Well except for caulifower. Have you tried Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice? It’s the best “keto” recipe I have tried so far and so easy.

I have - its not bad... Nothing like the real thing, but I can put a little salt n pepper on it and lie to myself. Haha

Have you discovered parmesian cheese crisps? buy the coarsely grated parm cheese in the tub... put some Pam on a cookie sheet and cook the cheese for 8-12 min @ 350 - delicious and tastes like you're cheating :)

I have - its not bad... Nothing like the real thing, but I can put a little salt n pepper on it and lie to myself. Haha
I actually liked the Cauliflower better than the white rice version.

Have you discovered parmesian cheese crisps? buy the coarsely grated parm cheese in the tub... put some Pam on a cookie sheet and cook the cheese for 8-12 min @ 350 - delicious and tastes like you're cheating :)
I tried it with parchment paper but the “chips” stuck. Will give your way a try.

Fresh Guacamole on bacon chips. OMG!

I actually liked the Cauliflower better than the white rice version.

I tried it with parchment paper but the “chips” stuck. Will give your way a try.

Fresh Guacamole on bacon chips. OMG!

Yes - I use parchment paper - with butter on it or Pam... My cheater snack is skinny pop popcorn with melted butter and salt mmmmmm

You are absolutely right. Diets don’t work. I regret using that term, especially in the title. A better choice would have been “lifestyle modification” and those DO work.

I too ate a lot of veggies but too many of them were potato and rice based. There were always a lot of salads in my diet. Spinach and cabbage too. And thoses are still there. But the potatos, rice and pastas are gone. Instead its zucchni noodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice...

A friend at work told me about her recent diet experience, approved and covered by her insurance. 800 calorie restriction. Low carb and fat. She lost a lot of weight for the first few weeks then hit a plauteu and a struggle since. She also started losing her hair and had to go on Synthroid because her thyroid started malfunctioning. How can this possibly be a good idea. And yet, this is what our current state of healthcare recommends.

Is a LCHF for everyone. Probably not but I think it should be, at least in a moderate form. Unless you are doing intense restriction there really is no need to count carbs. Common sense will do it.

Think about it. No pastas, grain based breads, potatoes, rice or sugar/sweets. Following this will also eliminate or at least limit fast food. These steps alone will show health benefits for almost any “typical American” diet. No need to go all keto comando.

Sounds like you have a sensible approach. For me, it's not "no" pasta, potatoes, rice, sweets, etc., but rather, maybe a small bit once or twice in a week. And a beer or two on Fridays. I don't understand the "high fat" aspect of these low-carb/high-fat diets; I'm content with lean meats and seafood and whatever small amount of fat may be needed for cooking. Basically just all things in moderation, with occasional treats to look forward to.

And exercise--I didn't mention regular, moderate exercise, but I'm sure somewhere in the posts above it has been addressed. I hate to bring up what's now pretty much a cliche response to diet talk, but just look at how western Europeans have traditionally eaten and lived. A piece of bread--not a basket of bread. A tiny chocolate for dessert now and then--not an American-sized "slice" of cake. Most of us Americans simply eat too much and get around by car too much. We drive to the gym, work out like hamsters on a treadmill, and then go home and "diet." That's no way to live.

Back
Top Bottom